PDA

View Full Version : The Irish are the Biggest Shower of Wasters in the World!

Chris P
01-04-2006, 01:37 PM
It's official: the Irish are the Biggest Shower of Wasters in the World!

The 2006 OECD* Factbook reports that the Irish take top place in the Wasters League. Every Irish man, woman and child produces 760kg of waste a year, which is 20kg more than the second-place Americans. The OECD average is 570kg per capita.

"A Culture of Waste?"

The OECD also reports that the Irish are placed second-last in the table for personal spending on recreation and culture (Mexicans come last, while the British top the table).

So what is it with the Irish? Have we given up going to the cinema, theatre, and funfair so that we'll have more time to produce waste? [Anyone seen <The Waste Fellow> by Brendan Bin?] Or is it that the Government is not doing enough to encourage more life-cycling & recycling?

"Lies, Damned Lies and ..."

Or maybe we should just ignore the findings of yet another report that shows us in a negative light. After all, stats don't really show the true picture, do they? What about the famous comment (usually attributed to Disraeli) that there are three types of lies - "lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Of course, OUR number isn't quite up yet, but what about future generations? Hanging our heads in shame is no solution. We need to face the problem full-on.

Your thoughts, please...

Chris P
(Admin)
------------------------------------------------------------
Notes: * The OECD = the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Its main function is to collect, analyse and publish data on a range of economic and environmental issues relating to about 50 of the world's developed/developing nations. It raps countries over the knuckles and exhorts them to do better.

DCF
16-04-2006, 11:22 AM
You have a point Chris P., but I think land-fill from the construction industry might be partly responsible for the disgracefully high 'waste per capita' figures for Ireland. I'm told that about 15% of the Irish economy's income is based on construction, and it is a waste-heavy industry, so maybe the bleak picture painted in the OECD report is a bit harsh on the average Irish man and woman. The building boom won't last for ever, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Irish population's figures minus the construction industry's ones portrayed us as being no worse (or better) than the average developed nation when it comes to waste production.

I've no doubt that hundreds, maybe even thousands of tons of serviceable material are dumped every day by builders who are up against tight schedules. Some probably couldn't be bothered to life-cycle or recycle. Others, I'm sure, would if they could.

Do they get tax-breaks if they do? I dunno...

-DCF

Chris P
14-05-2006, 11:45 AM
DCF, you're right about construction waste, to a certain extent. I found some data on the Race Against Waste website that may be of interest.

In 1995, the construction/demolition industry produced 1.3m tonnes of waste; in 2004, it produced over 11m tonnes.

Between 2001 and 2004, there was a 205% increase in the generation of construction and demolition waste. However, 85% of this is 'recovered' and put to further use, so we can't really blame the construction boom for our high waste figures.

More info here:
http://www.raceagainstwaste.ie/learn/how_much_do_we_produce/

Chris P
(Admin)

Note: The Race Against Waste data is from the National Waste Database Report, which was compiled and published by the Environmental Protection Agency in 2004.

Chris P
15-05-2006, 07:53 PM
A lot of the above does make for uncomfortable reading but there are some very positive signs too. For example, we deserve a pat on the back for the plastic-bag levy, the smoking-ban and, to a certain extent, for the way we have embraced the WEEE scheme (the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment recycling scheme).

All of these initiatives/schemes prove that the residents of Ireland are amenable to environmentally-friendly initiatives. We’re not eco-hooligans by inclination! Okay, so we have a few bad habits (you can make your own list here), and the Celtic Tiger has run ahead of our eco-services, but we’re catching up.

Also, all members/citizens of JumbleTown.ie are setting a fine example by Giving and Taking. Life-cycling before Recycling is key. Let’s keep it up.

Chris P
(Admin)

Chris P
14-06-2006, 09:31 AM
The findings of the recent OECD report, which basically labelled the Irish Republic as the most wasteful nation in the developed world (see above), have been borne out by a report from Forfás, a research body that advises the Irish Government.

The funny thing is that our "waste image" is EVEN WORSE in the Forfás report than in the OECD one. The OECD reported that Ireland produces 760kg of waste per capita; the Forfás report says the figure is 777kg. Both figures are astounding. The Forfás report also states that recycling costs are significantly higher in Ireland than elsewhere because we export so much of our "waste" material to be recycled.

The OECD and the Forfás reports prove that JumbleTown's philosophy of "Life-cycling" (re-use) before (premature) recycling and/or disposal is a key element of environmental protection.

So, well done, JumbleTowners. You're doing your bit!

Details of the Forfás report are given below.

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)
---------------------

Forfás Press Release (13th June 2006)

Launch of Forfás Waste Management Benchmarking Report
Forfás has published its first Waste Management Benchmarking Report. This report assesses Ireland’s comparative performance in meeting the needs of enterprise across a number of key indicators such as waste treatment options, costs and capacity.

While much progress has been made in the area of municipal waste recycling in recent years, as the share being recycled increased from 13 percent in 2001 to 33 percent in 2004, many of the challenges facing the enterprise base, which were highlighted in previous Forfás reports in 2001 and 2003, remain. In particular, there has been limited progress in addressing waste infrastructure deficits.

Speaking on the launch of the report, Martin Cronin, Chief Executive, Forfás commented, “Continuing increases in waste generation due to a growing population and economy, lengthy delays in rolling out planned infrastructure, and an increasing dependence on exporting have led to concerns over the ability of the Irish waste system to cater for further economic expansion and to provide competitively priced waste management solutions”.

Mr Cronin added, “Maintaining economic progress and competitiveness in Ireland is contingent on a good environment and the availability of modern waste management facilities. Since 2001, Forfás has monitored the growing concerns from industry over the lack of adequate waste infrastructure available in the country to cope with the demands from industrial, commercial and household waste generation. Waste management and the associated costs continue to be a key issue for enterprise in Ireland.”

In spite of its importance, particularly for some of Ireland’s key strategic sectors such as pharmaceuticals and life sciences, waste management is the area of the National Development Plan (NDP) where least progress has been made. The investment target for waste management infrastructure in the current NDP was €825 million, including €571 million of private investment. However, combined government and private investment to the end of 2005 was of the order of €250 million, most of which has been private investment.
Key Findings from the report:
Ireland performs poorly relative to competitor countries on a number of indicators:

· Waste Generation: Ireland has the highest municipal waste generation per capita of the countries surveyed with a figure of 777 kg per capita. The next highest is Singapore which generates 710 kg per capita. Manufacturing waste generation per employee is also relatively high.

Ireland has the third lowest hazardous waste generation per capita of the eight countries benchmarked, generating 83 kg per capita. Ireland’s low per capita hazardous waste level can be attributed to the profile of the industrial base in Ireland and the absence of heavy industrial activity.

· Waste Treatment: Ireland has made significant progress in the area of municipal waste management in recent years, with the share being recycled increasing from 13 percent in 2001 to 33 percent in 2004. However, Ireland performs relatively poorly with a recovery rate of 35 percent for industrial waste, highlighting Ireland’s dependence on landfill as a waste management solution. A significant amount of industrial waste is now land-filled on-site by the bigger companies rather than being land-filled in municipal landfills.

· Waste Costs: Of the countries benchmarked, Ireland has the highest waste management costs for non-hazardous landfill and biological waste treatment. Recycling costs and hazardous waste treatment costs are also higher than most competitor countries because of Ireland’s reliance on export markets for the treatment of recyclable materials. The vast majority of Ireland’s recyclable materials are exported for further treatment. Additional transport costs are directly impacting on the waste costs for the enterprise sector.

· Waste Capacity: Shortfalls in capacity have been identified for both municipal waste and hazardous waste – Ireland exports 30 percent of municipal waste and 70 percent of hazardous waste. The EU Landfill Directive requires reductions in the amount of biodegradable municipal waste being land-filled. This effectively requires the replacement of landfill capacity with infrastructure of a different kind. Many of Ireland’s competitors have already put in place such infrastructure and will have a competitive edge in this regard until such time as the waste treatment capacity required in Ireland is delivered.

· Ownership of Waste Collection: Ireland is almost unique among the benchmark countries in having private services directly involved in the collection of waste without any municipal involvement in establishing the contract and determining what happens to the waste.
The benchmarking analysis highlighted a range of areas where Ireland performs poorly compared to the other selected countries in meeting the waste management needs of the enterprise base. The policy priorities from an enterprise perspective are set out below:

Waste Prevention and Minimisation

Ireland has the highest level of municipal waste generation per capita of all the benchmark countries and manufacturing waste generation per employee is also relatively high. By not generating waste, we can eliminate the need to handle, transport, treat and dispose of waste. We can also avoid having to pay for waste management services. Investing resources in waste prevention and minimisation offers potential long-term benefits for the competitiveness of enterprises of all types. It is imperative for Ireland's future economic growth and environmental sustainability that the necessary resources and commitment to implement the National Waste Prevention Programme 2004-2008 are provided.

Infrastructure Deficits

Ireland’s dependence on landfill remains high relative to other countries. This is mainly due to the limited progress that has been made in delivering waste infrastructure in preferred waste treatment options such as thermal treatment and biological treatment. Ireland’s comparatively poor performance on key indicators such as costs and capacity can be traced back to the failure to deliver key waste management infrastructure in recent years. Ireland’s infrastructure deficits are also likely to affect Ireland’s ability to meet the targets set down in the EU Landfill Directive. Ireland will be restricted to landfilling 75 percent of the municipal biodegradable waste produced (by weight) in 1995 by 2010. This means Ireland must reduce is 2004 biodegradable waste levels by almost 340,000 tonnes.

Effectiveness of Existing Implementation Mechanisms

The lack of national co-ordination on waste management issues is a major challenge from an enterprise/competitiveness perspective. Up to now, decisions on the roll-out of infrastructure have been made mainly within county boundaries, rather than being based on national criteria such as industry economies of scale, the development of critical mass and the existence of transport corridors.

Specific infrastructure requirements identified in the 'National Hazardous Waste Management Plan', the 'National Strategy on Biodegradable Waste' and the regional waste management plans have not been implemented. This is mainly due to lengthy delays in the planning process. While the publication of the Strategic Infrastructure Bill is a welcome development, many of the most protracted delays to decisions on infrastructure have been due to legal challenges to planning decisions. This issue needs to be addressed also.

For further information please contact info@forfas.ie

END

dodo
28-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi Chris,
I would much prefer to have things repaired, but find that such a service is not really an option, and often more costly than buying new.

No-one seems to work at this any more, although there probably is quite a market for appliance repairs.

I remember when dry cleaners employed people to repair nylons, which was done with tiny crochet hooks, at so much a ladder.

It does seem a pity to throw out things, because they can't be repaired.

dodo

Chris P
30-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi dodo,

What you say is very true. The throw-away society has been around for a while and looks set to continue, but at what cost? Buying new instead of repairing seems to be the favoured option for many, and who can blame them when, as you say, it often costs more to have something repaired. In any case, obsolescence seems to be built into many products (TVs last about five years), and finding someone willing (and able) to fix something is often a hard task.

Your account of nylon-repairing would undoubtedly amuse/bemuse many of today’s generation as would, I suppose, my memory of “rag-and-bone” men calling around to houses (in the 1970s) to pick up unwanted items. They used to pass out balloons and whistles to delighted children.

Ah, the good ole days…

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)

erica
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I've just found this thread and wondered what are the statistics saying about us in 2008? Has our record on waste production improved or are we still a "Shower of Wasters" ?

Chris P
01-10-2008, 11:10 PM
I've just found this thread and wondered what are the statistics saying about us in 2008? Has our record on waste production improved or are we still a "Shower of Wasters" ?
Hi erica,

The decline of Celtic Tiger has probably reduced our waste production rate. Also, our levels of recycling and re-use have increased, thereby reducing the amount of land-filling. The data issued by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) is usually for 18 months ago, so right up-to-the-minute views of the situation are next to impossible to find. If you want hard data on how we've done over the years, you can access the Environmental Protection Agency's National Waste Reports here:

http://www.epa.ie/downloads/pubs/waste/stats/

Also, the OECD's page on Ireland has info on our waste production and general performance as a nation. Interesting stuff! Please see here:

http://www.oecd.org/country/0,3377,en_33873108_33873500_1_1_1_1_1,00.html

Regards
Chris P
Admin

erica
01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks Chris P. Efficient as ever, even at this time of night! No wonder this site is winning awards, do you guys ever sleep????

Jumbles
01-10-2008, 11:34 PM
Sadly, I'm not suprised by these reports ChrisP.
My mother is disgusted at what she calls the "throw away society" today. She worked in a certain supermarket and said "you would cry if you saw what and how much we are told to throw away" Brand new, useable stuff, I'm not talking out-of-date food.

I think we have 4 major problems:

1. The cost of recycling - it's disgraceful!
Plus I believe there should be somewhere we can dump compostable materials for free, yes *free*.
2. The lack of recycling plants in Ireland. (contributes to point 1)
Last I heard, the only material that was recycled in the whole of Ireland was plastic. Until recently, I wasn't even allowed put plastic in my green bin, (go figure). I think only a few months ago, the first glass recycling plant in Ireland opened. (?)
3. Packaging - This is a major gripe of mine. The packaging on everything from vegetables to toys is disgracefully excessive and usually non recyclable / compostable.
BUT this is one thing that could be turned around by legislation.
Imagine if it were made law that ALL manufacturers of goods had to use the exact same containers *or* make all packaging compostable / returnable?
So Imagine this:
Every cereal box and bag is compostable,
Every glass jar and bottle is identical and returnable (like the old days 2p off when you bring your bottle back lol)
Every plastic container is recyclable (in Ireland)
If plastic were a 'last resort' packaging material and there were a limited variety of plastic containers to be used for all food & drink items and detergents etc.
Why? Because a lot of the excess packaging is simply dressing to make the product more attractive (and so more expensive). Imagine if all bottles were identical and only the label was used as a sales pitch. How much packaging and money could be saved?
4. Repair etc - It is too expensive & not widely available. Perhaps the govt could abolish VAT on repair related labour? Even cleaning is too expensive! For example, it costs more now to have a Duvet washed by a so-called "launderette" than it does to buy a brand new Duvet. So what do you do?

I could go on, but this is already the longest post I have ever posted on jumbletown lol!

Chris P
02-10-2008, 12:02 AM
I could go on, but this is already the longest post I have ever posted on jumbletown lol!
And a fabulous post it is too, Jumbles! It contains a fine analysis of a complex situation and also very commonsensical solutions.

The question for Government and people alike is what are we doing about it.

JumbleTown was set up with the intention of making people more proactive with regard to waste production of bulky items in particular by providing a re-use/life-cycling forum but as you state in your post, the amount of packaging waste is enormous. The government-backed Repak organisation has certainly helped in managing and disposing of this particular type of waste, but its production in the first place is cause for concern.

JumbleTown was devised in 2003 but because of other work commitments we didn't go "live" till 2006. The bad reports from the OECD and Forfas spurred us into action, as did the seemingly positive reports about the increases in the amount we were recycling. Though we're no experts in waste management, we felt that a lot of premature recycling was taking place (especially of bulky items such as computers), and that a lot of unnessary landfilling was taking place (especially of furniture). Hence, the birth of JumbleTown.

We like to think that we're are having some effect on the waste situation but the simple fact remains that recycling instead of re-use/life-cycling is generally the first option for many. As you state, our recycling facilities are still woefully inadequate. For example, in a recent press release, the Dept of the Environment said that 83% of our recycled material is "necessarily exported" for [re]processing. Why can't we recycle it here? Well, that's a topic for another post...

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Jumbles
02-10-2008, 12:22 AM
ChrisP, I think Jumbletown is such a perfect example of how a simple idea can work really well.
People will recycle if they get something back, be it the knowledge that you saved €200 on a skip by passing something on, or getting 5c for a returnable bottle, or a thank you from a fellow jumbletowner, or just knowing that something you no longer need is being used or enjoyed by someone else.

Maybe now is the time to grab a hold in the recycling market?
Aren't we in a recession? Aren't we losing businesses left and right?
Maybe we should ask the government what they are doing to attract recycling plants etc into Ireland to soak up all these job loses?
If we can aford to export the vast majority our recyclable waste then there must be money in it?

Told you I could go on...
:)

Chris P
02-10-2008, 12:39 AM
If we can aford to export the vast majority our recyclable waste then there must be money in it?
Hi Jumbles,

The old saying, "Where there's muck, there's brass" is still very true. It seems that there is more money to be made by recycling abroad than actually doing it ourselves. It's simpler too -- out of sight, out of mind, and no headaches about planning permission for recycling plants, high labour and transport costs etc.

As we all know, it's a complicated business, but more needs to be done. We're 50 years behind countries like Holland and Switzerland in terms of waste management.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

lemencass
03-10-2008, 09:21 AM
I am from N.A. and there were a few things that surprised me when I moved here. When I go shopping the cashier wraps items such as fairy in a seperate plastic bag,when I asked why,I am told in case it leaks. I have said how the hell did it make it from the factory to here without leaking,surely it will make it to my home without major damage? We had Big garbage day,me and my friends would take the day off work to troll the streets finding treasures. Found a brand new rotissere oven,old jam press lots of goodies. Scrap shops would be out in full force too lining with shelfs with items that would otherwise go to a dump.I nearly got the ears ripped off me by my mother when I was small,I came home with a siver set,she of course thought I stole it(why would a 7year old steal silver?) When she saw that it had been thrown away she started a side line,revamping couches,she made some tidy profit and got herself a new hobby. Beside alot of rural dumps there are shops,that sell servicable items and then dump the non servicable. There seems to be alot of shame involved for some people in having less than perfect,or non matching. With the economy the way it is maybe some of the old ways will make a comeback like wax paper at the butcher,it is a little cheaper if you go to the counter at home as biodergradable paper is used instead of plastics,meat keeps better too! Win win for everybody. Alot of second hand or charity shops won't take things such as tennis rackets as they can be used as weapens,I couldn't believe it! Mind some people do take advantage at auctions and bring total crap to avoid paying the skip charges which is a real downer for people that are trying to do a good thing. Many box's state not to include rags,is there not a charity that uses these to make mops if bag is labelled as rags? If you look into most of the skips 70% of it is usefull,books,china,a roll of wallpaper,old carpet,old duvets,places like kennels are only to happy to take things to line out a kennel. We spend so much time and thought when buying something new and if a tenth of that energy was put towards how we get rid we may see a reduction in our fills.(I include the goverment in this thought) Now in saying that if there is no set up,ie repair shops then it is a waste of time maybe if people have a skill to re-purpose they could post it?Provide insipration, maybe a section could be set aside,instead of wanted, it could be" needed", for places such as kennels ,I didn't know untill I asked what they would use and I got rid of alot of stuff. I love this board and Chris you guys really deserved that award! Mum used to say your stand may seem lonely as you stand alone in your fight but others who share your thoughts make the army. She was abit ahead of the time in regard to enviromental issue's but JT is an example of this,she'd have loved this board too!!

bluecurlygirl
03-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Don't get me started on that one. I agree with everything on the previous posts and with the season of goodwill fast approaching, no matter how wonderful my christmas is, I always end up getting very upset and quite angry too at the amount of packaging on all toys. In fact this year I'm seriously considering that any toy I end up buying that I will remove the packaging before leaving the shop and hand it to the shopkeeper. After all I want the toy not the excess. Why should I pay say €20 in the shop and then pay more to get the packaging taken away? Why should I be forced to tolerate the production of this unwanted packaging in the first place anyway? Maybe if we all do this (a bit like sending the junk mail back to sender) the retailers themselves will put pressure on the manufacturers. Let's not wait for new legislation on this because if we're waiting on the Government to do something we'll be waiting in vain. Let's do it ourselves. From here on in everything you buy that comes in a box with lots of plastic and bag ties, take the item out and hand everything else back to the shop. Go on...

HappyHunter
06-10-2008, 12:27 PM
It's a load of rubbish as one-third of food binned

UP to a third of all food is thrown in the bin without being eaten, according to a new survey.

A UK study shows that almost 20% of all household waste is made up of food and, if applied to Ireland, it means that 337,000 tonnes of food waste is generated each year.

Half of this food could have been eaten, said Andrew Hetherington, the chief executive of recycling organisation Repak.

On the eve of Repak Recycling Week, Mr Hetherington pointed out that most of this ended up in landfill where it produced methane, a powerful greenhouse gas.

"Retailers are bringing in food out of season because we want it. One-third of food we buy is thrown out, including the packaging. We need to change that attitude," he said.
Read on.....
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/its-a-load-of-rubbish-as-onethird-of-food-binned-1490689.html

Buying only what we need of perishable goods is the best way.

HH

Covelay
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I wonder if S*******s, the coffee-shop chain, have an Irish connection?
See this.......................

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blog/editors_corner/article/3239/

Chris P
06-10-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks HappyHunter and Covelay for posting these stories. Disturbing reading indeed!

More on that wasteful coffee-shop chain here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7654691.stm

Regards
Chris P
Admin

unapam
06-10-2008, 03:50 PM
When I was young there was no waste. Recycling and repurposing was unheard of ...but was practised by all.

When I grew up and things were easier I watched as the waste generation evolved. Mea culpa...I joined in with gusto! I felt it was such a luxury to not be poor and not to have to make do and mend (it meant poverty to my mind) I loved changing things just because I felt like a new look and shopping became a hobby, and I consumed with the best of them and kept up with the Jones'. I was delighted my children didn't know what want was.

But it all went too far and I was one of the first to listen to and believe the predictions of climate change etc. and I began to feel differently about things.

I found myself looking for a simpler way to live. The difference, this time, is of course - that this time it's my choice. I don't think for one minute that my pathetic efforts will make any difference to this world because I believe it is too late and too much damage has been done already. Yet I can't NOT do it.

I also think that people who don't know how to, or just wont, live in harmony with the world will have to learn...and it wont be their choice..they will have no choice.
Sorry to sound so pessimistic but I am pessimistic about this.

HappyHunter
06-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I hear you Unapam and it's not pessimistic, it's reality.

The biggest "climate change" is happening right now in relation to the financial world - people are being forced into changing their attitudes to consuming and "keeping up with the Jones' ". Going back to basics is not a bad thing, this current financial crisis is going to leave a lot of people more appreciative of what they've got. Many will find that they are forced to change because they just won't be able to afford to waste like they had been doing.

k

bluecurlygirl
06-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Absolutely. I listen to so many people at work talking about the financial crisis saying "Oh I don't care, this doesn't affect me". However, they're the same people who don't do a lot for the environment either. The "Oh yeah I keep meaning to get round to that" brigade (although I'm guilty of that on occasion too) I don't think you're being pessimistic either Unapam. It's a sad reality we're facing but at least we'll try and be content that we did our bit and through wonderful sites like this spread the word. But yes I do think in one sense the financial crisis could be a blessing in disguise. Because people will have to learn how to cut back on spending they'll have to remember to turn off lights when not in use, don't leave things on standby, make do with less, stop using the car to run down to the corner shop etc.

Ocker
06-10-2008, 09:40 PM
There are some mining towns in West Oz where thwere is NO waste. Everything including left over food is recycled. The food is put in worm farms and the new soil is used to grow veggies flowers etc. Cardboard plastic etc is baled, backloaded and shipped to India as deck cargo in small ore ships where every scrap is used.

erica
06-10-2008, 10:15 PM
There are some mining towns in West Oz where thwere is NO waste. Everything including left over food is recycled. The food is put in worm farms and the new soil is used to grow veggies flowers etc. Cardboard plastic etc is baled, backloaded and shipped to India as deck cargo in small ore ships where every scrap is used.

Now there's an idea for a new business venture.... a worm farm!! I don't think there are any in this country, but perhaps there are! I have a wormery and get wonderful compost and liquid fertiliser from it. Surely the companies who collect waste could diversify and give customers a bin for waste food, which could then be used in a worm farm. If the Aussies can do it, why can't we?

Like every other area of recycling, I think it has been proven that the only way to encourage people to do it is to charge for the alternative, which is landfill! If it was cheaper to recycle it, then people would do it! There doesn't seem to be the will to get an organised system set up though. We have come a long way in this country, but the pace is painfully slow!

Jumbles
06-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I dunno... charging for the alternative could be a good thing, but usually creates it's own problems.
Before that happens there needs to be education. I think this is the biggest problem.

Lets face it, most people see recycling as a pain in the a$$. Other people genuinely don't know how or why they should recycle. So it needs to be seen to be a part of daily life rather than a chore and a booklet on recycling and tips on what and how to recycle should be circulated.
Simple tips like: compost your tea bags and garden waste, when you go for your groceries, bring along your empty bottles to the supermarket recycling banks, buy loose fruit and veg rather than pre-packaged... etc etc...

When the green bins first came out, my father was one of the first to get one. It was very badly done. The council gave out the green "recycle bins" in the estate. Most people just thought, woohoo, an extra bin! And threw all their mixed waste in the green bin too.
Even when the council refused to lift green bins with non recyclables in them people still did it. Then the council issued warnings, people would be fined if they were found to have non recyclables in their green bins. That stopped it. People made it their business to find out what is allowed in the green bins. He now has a brown bin for compostable waste too.

People need to know what is and isn't allowed and need to know it IS their business to recycle. That's why I think fining for mixed waste works better.
Charging more for non recyclabes normally leads to illegal dumping and burning. It's damned hard to avoid non recyclables, I try. I bought very very little that didn't come in glass or tetrapack until my bin took plastics and I now buy some plastic bottles too.

Some areas in the UK fine for putting non recylables in recycle bins. And in some states in America it is illegal to not recycle, so you could be fined if glass bottles were found in your trash for example...

But before all that, education is the key. Kids in school should be the main target.

HappyHunter
07-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I think people are going to find they cannot afford to pay charges for all these services, because of rising unemployment and they will go back to basics. Problem might be that back to basics for some might be dumping in scenic areas because they cannot afford the collection charges.

I agree that people need to be educated (or re-educated) about how to do things that are beneficial to them, in the sense that it saves them money that they don't have to spend. Re-educate because there was a time, as has been pointed out many times, that people knew instinctively about these things but they have un-learnt because they have become dependent on others to provide for them in every aspect of their lives.

Reducing waste by composting is beneficial to individual families and communities. With this compost they can enrich the soil in their gardens, their gardens can be used to produce food. If people live in apartments they can create a communal compost and a communal vegetable plot. Even if there is not a communal growing area or place where apartment residents have garden areas where they can grow food, people can grow food on balconies, so a communal composting area would be useful anyway.

With unemployment rates increasing people will have more time on their hands to tend to vegetables.

Barter systems can be put to good use with the food that is grown. Exchanging food for a service or goods will become a norm rather than a rarity.

It's time for tightening the belts rather than spending more money but tightening does not mean having to go without basic necessities which can be grown with our own compost on our own small gardens. It just takes a little work and some creative thinking.

I am proposing that people take back their power by ceasing depending on others to provide their food and services.

As has been suggested on another thread on this forum, we need to bring our own containers to the stores with us, when we buy packed goods remove them, place them in our own containers and leave the packaging with the store for them to dispose of.

How many people know that when you purchase a large item, such as a washing machine, that you can and should return the packaging to the store for them to dispose of it? If it works for large consumer goods then it will work for the smaller, regularly bought goods.

How many people know that cardboard and paper can be composted? How many people reuse envelopes?

There have been some great suggestions about junk mail on another thread, we need to become active, we are accepting junk and being charged to get rid of it but we never asked for this junk, even when we purchase a large item we want the item not the packaging.

Aghh that got me going LOL - getting off my soap box now - I promise :)

Some might be interested in these movies:

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

bluecurlygirl
07-10-2008, 02:59 PM
Our council don't provide green bins - that would be Cavan County Council - just to name and shame. My bin collection is a private collection as the only collection the Council does is the yellow bags that you pay €5 or something like that. The private collection isn't great either as it only collects the green bin once every four weeks. One of our neighbours - I kid you not - never leaves a bin out on Mondays (private collection day) or Tuesdays (council collection day) and with seven kids in the house we were all wondering where the waste was going. Then we discovered that he has cut a gateway out of his back garden fence which opens onto a field and he just hurls his rubbish in there. The council were made aware of this and eventually they provided him with a skip - where is the logic? Why not fine his a$$ first and make him recycle secondly and then fill the landfill bags - not a big bloody skip. That was a few months ago. And now guess what has happened - yes that's right - there's another skip outside his door provided for by the Council again. So what did he learn - nothing. In fact he was rewarded for his lack of effort. It just makes you mad really. Yet again back to education. Show people like this what they're doing wrong and how to rightify it. Help them by all means but what they're doing isn't helping anything. Putting a plaster on a festering wound.