PDA

View Full Version : Half / Stable Door

chakes
18-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi All

Is it possible to turn a regular internal door into a half/stable door by simply cutting it in half?

I want to be able to open the doors but my hens keep coming into the house and pooing!!!

Help...

Fries-With-That
18-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Hi All

Is it possible to turn a regular internal door into a half/stable door by simply cutting it in half?

I want to be able to open the doors but my hens keep coming into the house and pooing!!!

Help...

Simple answer is yes, you'd need to add an extra hinge to each section and the cut has to be at an angle you'd also need to install a bolt to make it easer to open the door as a complete unit again.

Best advice is to get a carpenter to do it for you, its not an easy DIY job.

Regards,

Fries.

Bawnie
18-09-2009, 07:26 PM
We have one here and its great, it helps keep unwanted sales people out as well as the hens! I'd suggest another lock at the bottom too, for safety, and far enough down so that you can't reach it from the outside or should i say strangers!

bubbles747
04-06-2011, 09:05 PM
was going to do this, any advise on how you did it chakes?

mario40
19-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi All

Help...
The simple answer to that is that it depends on the type of door you have. It is not just a case of cutting it in half as you could be getting yourself into a lot of problems

shep1234
23-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Hi All

Help...

not really, unless the door you are going to murder is a solid door, even then you could have a problem. if the door is a spare, give it a go, most half doors can be small on top, so decide before you cut, and do not forget to measure twice, and cut once. use two spare matchbox size bits of wood as templates to support your efforts. good luck, and put it on utube. robert