PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a smooth finish?

KilkennyCat
04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Hi all I've decided to revamp a few pieces of furniture lying around to be used in other rooms.

My first project was a pine single bed for my son, I sanded it down, then washed it down and let it dry, applied a coat of undercoat to the bed then finished it with three coats of satinwood paint in french white, but the surface is not totally smooth. I used a gloss roller head to put on the satinwood. Would spraying give a better finish.

Its just that I've got a lovely unit that I want to paint french white for my sitting room and we're also getting rid of our red deal skirting and door and repainting them too. I want to get a perfect finish.

All help and tips appreciated.

tigerlilly.100
04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Hi, it helps if you give each coat of of paint a light, very light sanding before applying the following coat.
I'm not sure what else you could do, but good luck with it, I plan to revamp my sons room so very interested in ideas.

Fries-With-That
04-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Tip from the trade..........

If you're using a gloss roller on furniture make sure you use one of the foam rollers (not the one with light pile).

It also helps if you use a brush to lightly feather the paint after you use the roller.

Regards,

fries

Bill_D
12-10-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi all I've decided to revamp a few pieces of furniture lying around to be used in other rooms.

My first project was a pine single bed for my son, I sanded it down, then washed it down and let it dry, applied a coat of undercoat to the bed then finished it with three coats of satinwood paint in french white, but the surface is not totally smooth. I used a gloss roller head to put on the satinwood. Would spraying give a better finish.

Its just that I've got a lovely unit that I want to paint french white for my sitting room and we're also getting rid of our red deal skirting and door and repainting them too. I want to get a perfect finish.

All help and tips appreciated.
There's no way round it, you gotta get a very fine sandpaper, and sand it with that, pop in to Bretts in John St, Billy'll give you a lot of hints.............what ya doing with the red deal skirting ?

KilkennyCat
12-10-2009, 02:28 PM
We're currently sanding down our skirting and door and going to repaint we've decided on French cream from the colour trend range.

KilkennyCat
31-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Just moving onto my next project a coffee table which I'm painting cream. Its been a learning curve but is there a special undercoat I should use or can I just use the a normal wood undercoat that I did the skirting and doors with and what is the best finish, I used satinwood on my dresser but not 100% happy with. Is there a special paint for furniture just want to get the coffee table right.

Bill_D
31-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Just moving onto my next project a coffee table which I'm painting cream. Its been a learning curve but is there a special undercoat I should use or can I just use the a normal wood undercoat that I did the skirting and doors with and what is the best finish, I used satinwood on my dresser but not 100% happy with. Is there a special paint for furniture just want to get the coffee table right.
A/ have you sanded the coffee table, if not, you should, then clean it, I'm sure you already know
B/ Pop over to Woodies, Crown do a lovely Satinwood and of course other colours,
C/, Sand, Prime, Undercoat, and finish. A very light sanding between coats

KilkennyCat
31-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks Bill I've almost finished sanding it, its got spindle type legs so tricky enough to get the layers of paint off it.

Now here's my stupid question whats the difference between priming and undercoat, I thought they were the same thing.

And finally should I roll, brush, or spray?

Bill_D
01-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Priming, you prepare the surface for the paint, undercoating, you're giving the paint a base, would you like to borrow my heat gun, for the difficult areas, it'd save a lot of time and ensure you get rid of all the old paint etc.
I'm also in Kilkenny, near to Newpark shoppin center.