PDA

View Full Version : Repurposed Extended American Bobbins (Huh?)

unapam
07-10-2009, 12:13 PM
In response to my one of my wanted ads for old sewing/knitting stuff a very kind woman sent me these...Two Extended American Bobbins. They were beautifully turned wood. I was a bit flummoxed as to what I could make from them when but eventually I came up with these.....

Our cottage was originally a weaver's cottage and so these will go very well down there as...
A kitchen roll holder (I will cut off the top circle to make it easier to put the roll on.
...and the other one is perfect as a rustic candle holder. I could even have two matching candle holders I suppose.

I also got some smaller blue bobbins that I am still thinking on...any ideas?

Thank you so much to Terscar for these beautiful old items. They are getting a new lease of life (just not as they knew it!)

Mickey
07-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Lovely job :o)

Do you have any blinds? You could use them as handles on the cord? Or the cistern on the loo? Or a corded light/fan switch/pull handle?

flybynight
07-10-2009, 03:13 PM
In response to my one of my wanted ads for old sewing/knitting stuff a very kind woman sent me these...Two Extended American Bobbins. They were beautifully turned wood. I was a bit flummoxed as to what I could make from them when but eventually I came up with these.....

Our cottage was originally a weaver's cottage and so these will go very well down there as...
A kitchen roll holder (I will cut off the top circle to make it easier to put the roll on.
...and the other one is perfect as a rustic candle holder. I could even have two matching candle holders I suppose.

I also got some smaller blue bobbins that I am still thinking on...any ideas?

Thank you so much to Terscar for these beautiful old items. They are getting a new lease of life (just not as they knew it!)

Wow, they look great! I especially love the candle holder, unusual and better than most you see in the shops :)

unapam
07-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Great idea! thanks. I have a string pull light switch which will look great with one of these on the end. Blue is the right colour too!

Helenwirl
08-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi Unapam,
For the smaller ones you could make a nice wind chime out of them.

Helen

unapam
08-10-2009, 09:27 PM
That's perfect for them. I'm guessing the wood will make a lovely dull thunking sound. You've got me thinking now. I have enough of them to do that and make light pulls too!

melissabell
10-10-2009, 04:34 PM
These are really cool, I had one of these years ago and it had been made into a pen. The candle holder is really unusual very different!

Cord or pully handler as suggested would look amazing :)

Well Done :)

terscar
26-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Dear Unapam,
I am really getting a kick out of reading all the entries here from yourself
and Minnie Pal! Some very talented and creative people on this site!!
I have a couple more items you might be interested in that are cottage-y:
a rug-beater, and a couple of metal, heart shaped things that could perhaps
hold a couple of your long bobbins (as candle holders). If you are
interested, you can re-send me your postal address and I will post them out
to you ASAP.
Teresa