PDA

View Full Version : Help with Driveway question

tudlytops
06-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi! All

We are renovating a small old cottage on top of a hill, at the moment there's not such a thing we could call a driveway and neither cars or vans can make it up to the house as the tyres just slip and can't get a grip on the road.

Is there anything we can do with very little money even if just temporarily until we save up for a proper drive?

Thank you

Bubbles2
06-11-2009, 06:29 PM
If there was any rubble from the renovations maybe you could break this up and lay on the drive way and would create drainage and grip for vehicles or perhaps if you had no rubble from your own project possibly some of your neighbours or other members on JT which may be close to you to collect could be used!!!
B2

tudlytops
06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Thank you.

There's no rubble, and there won't be any unless we can get up there :)

Its pretty isolated and we would have no way to pick up rubble from somewhere else.

There was a driveway in there once but its all turn to mud and slime.

The place as been empty for about 12 years.

mw100860
06-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi there, could you possibly get a JCB to maybe scrape off a few inches of the ' topsoil ' and then get a few loads of filling from your nearest quarry and spread it over. Filling costs E 8-10/tonne but there's not that much in a tonne, really. Typically, a pickup truck will carry 3 tonne max. Hope this is of some help to you.

tudlytops
06-11-2009, 08:30 PM
Could I suppose, but hiring a JCB with drive will cost quite a bit I expect.

Just trying to get some ideas see what can we do, as we've put all we had into purchasing the property.

Thanks

summersun
06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Tudly,

What about contacting your local council roads dept and ask when they are next planning to resurface the roads in your area would they be willing to give you the old scrapings they remove from the road????

Is the lane up to the cottage, private , you could also ask the roads dept if there was anything they could do for you resurfacing wise??? or if they were doing the roads in your area .... offer the resurfacing boys a few euro to drop some stones down for you

hope you get help

summersun xxx

tudlytops
06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks summersun,

That is something to look at. The worst thing they can do is say no.

thanks

salandsorcha
06-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Could I suppose, but hiring a JCB with drive will cost quite a bit I expect.

Diggermen can be surprisingly less expensive than you might think. A few year ago i was charged E25 per hour which sounds expensive but these diggers can do large jobs quite quickly. Probably cheaper now seeing as there's less work around for them. Talk to some locals, they always know where to find a diggerman.

mammasboys
07-11-2009, 01:48 PM
I would definitely ask my neighbours. People are surprisingly happy to help. See if you can trade off some other service, babysitting, some home baking. In my experience, all you have to do is ask, explaining your situation. Like you said, the worst that can happen is they say no, but they might have a friend that can help. The local pub is a good place to ask.

fisherman tom
07-11-2009, 05:46 PM
the hill sounds steep with no cars being able get up,your best bet would be 6 tonne track digger to scrape down to hardcore and trench either side to keep water off . when i was driving track diggers it would cost 300 euro for a day .it will prob. be cheaper now as most machines are sitting idle all over the country.just price around as some charge to deliver machine to site.