PDA

View Full Version : Do dimmer switches work with energy efficient lights?

Pepperpixie
16-01-2010, 10:31 PM
hi, anyone know if dimmer switches work with energy efficient lights??? Want to put one in the nursery but no point if they don't work.

rosheenjones
16-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Special bulbs are available you can get them in Woodies they have dimmable written on the side

Pepperpixie
17-01-2010, 12:20 PM
great thanks for that Rosheen, anyone know why some of them work with the dimmer switch and others don't??

MaryDublin
18-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I just got all my dimmer switches replaced with plain switches as they do not work with energy efficient light bulbs.

MuddyWitch
02-02-2010, 11:16 PM
Old fashioned light bulbs work by causing a filament to glow, (incandescent), and therefore can be dimmed.

Most low energy bulbs work like granny's old neon tube; they ignite a gas that is contained in the tube which glows. This can only glow at one rate, like a glow worm. Hence it can't be dimmed in the conventional way.

For the record, using a dimmer actually costs more than a conventional on/off switch.

If you want a low level of light for your nursery, why not put a low wattage bulb in a lamp and a brighter bulb in the main light? You can also buy little plugin units that just glow softly in the wall socket. (We use on of these in the hall for night trips to the bathroom)

MW

Jane B
11-02-2010, 01:50 PM
I remember Des Bishop did a short video on ligting this as part of energy saving project at www.desbishopunplugged.ie - might be some info on this there..