PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Sink -- relocation ideas?

dee1
20-01-2010, 10:14 AM
I want to change the lay out of my kitchen as it's all over the place,the first thing you see when you open the front door is my sink unit,im in a council house,but is there a harden rule as to the reason why the sink is always infront of a window.I want to put it behind the kitchen door,as it is the presses are on and against all the walls and it looks very messy and cluttered.I want to contain the kitchen units etc to one compact area to make better use of the space in the room overall.As it is now i hate it and were not using it as well as we could.So if anyone out there knows the answer to the sink situation I'd be grateful for a reply..thanks..

irishrose
20-01-2010, 10:52 AM
There's no rule. The idea, I think, was to have something to look at whilst washing up. But your plumbing's probably there and moving it might pose a problem. If it's not a problem, go for it! It's your kitchen!

sparkwell
20-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi dee1

Like Irishrose says the idea of the sink under the window is to have something to look at while washing up but having a sink elsewhere works well too, but plumbing is the issue and your sink is on an outside wall for the waste too. There may still be some way of getting a better layout. Try using some graph paper to work out different layouts or you could be very cheeky and get an expert to draw up different layouts for you. I know with Cash & Carry Kitchens this service is free of charge you need to go along with exact measurement of the kitchen with doors, window sizes, appliance sizes etc and they can come up with a new kitchen design with no obligation. You might them be able to reuse your cupboards in a different layout. B & Q have a half price sale on till end of January on certain kitchen cupboards and it would be a good way of picking up carcasses if you need extra. You might find it harder to match up your existing cupboards though!

Good luck

Sparkwell