PDA

View Full Version : re-vamped log box

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
13-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Went to the recycling centre in Athlone on Wed. and there was this sad looking log box sitting, waiting in hope for a second chance! Popped it into the car and spent a couple of evenings fixing it up. Cost €4 for brass headed tacks to repair damage to the brass overlay and brass upholstery tacks for around the edge of the lid. I'm delighted, now I have somewhere to hide firelighters, matches etc. Next project is revamp of an oak coffee table I removed from the timber skip in the recycling centre the week before. JT is great for getting things but recycling centre is also a place for getting as well as giving.Eibh.

mw100860
13-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Great job Eibhlin!

unapam
13-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Looks great! Can't wait to see your coffee table photos. Cheers Unapam

Dave Hagan
14-02-2010, 02:06 AM
A fabulous addition to your rustic fireplace.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin

laracroft
16-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Eibhlin, this is just fab.. well done!!

Linn
16-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Well done it looks like a perfessional job.

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
19-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks for all the positivity. delighted to find that I can fit two bales of turf in the box plus room for firelighters etc. And thanks to JTown, I am passing on the basket that I used before this. Eibh.

elbo
21-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi Eibhlin, I can remember having one of these log boxes. Served me well.

BigDave
01-07-2011, 08:01 AM
wow, looks great!! my mother used to have one of those which was almost identical!!
when we moved house in 1999, it dissapeared along with many valuable items because of crooked house removals and storage men!! if you ever come across anotherone like it, please keep me in mind as i'd love to be able to revamp one myself for my mam, and i would cover any cost of course....... Well done again ;)

P.s. could you send me the details of the recycling centre please if you have them? would like to have a look someday!!

Thanks,
Dave.

melissabell
01-07-2011, 01:09 PM
This looks amazing!!! Well done, I don't think the recycling centre here in Portarlington lets you take things :(
Oh if you find another one let me know :)

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
01-07-2011, 03:31 PM
wow, looks great!! my mother used to have one of those which was almost identical!!
when we moved house in 1999, it dissapeared along with many valuable items because of crooked house removals and storage men!! if you ever come across anotherone like it, please keep me in mind as i'd love to be able to revamp one myself for my mam, and i would cover any cost of course....... Well done again ;)

P.s. could you send me the details of the recycling centre please if you have them? would like to have a look someday!!

Thanks,
Dave.
Hi Dave, recycling centre is quoted in original post--don't want to get anyone in trouble. Basic rule is once you pay your money, everything becomes the property of the centre and for insurance purposes you are not allowed take anything. If you ask they have to quote company policy but if you just fling it in the car they turn a blind eye. Also at the white goods and computer section people look for parts--plates for microwave, shelves for fridges etc.
I recently got a beautiful toy kitchen which the man in the centre offered to me. A lady had left it in insisting he take it as it was too good for landfill and he was afraid he'd get in trouble for taking it(if you get my drift). Anyway I said no as my 'baby' is 22 but then remembered I had visitors coming to stay with a 3yr old girl so brought thekitchen home, cleaned it up, the child played with it for the few days and I have now passed it on to a Jumbletown member, along with a little bike I also got. So everyone happy!! Eibhlin.

Gormal
02-07-2011, 03:21 AM
It's lovely and such a nice edition to your fireplace! Makes no sense to me why people dump perfectly good things, honestly they should have rehabs next to the recycling centers to retrain these people ;o) mini rant over!

Laineym
25-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Oh this is fabulous Eibhlin - my parents had one of these when I was small but I don't think it looked as good as your revamped one ;-)

magda_ola
07-08-2011, 08:42 PM
well done Eibhlin;