PDA

View Full Version : Amazing what people throw out! (coffee table)

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
04-03-2010, 11:24 PM
This is the coffee table I took from the timber recycling skip in the recycling centre in Athlone. I'm putting up the pictures not to show my skill at restoration but to show what people throw out. This didn't cost me anything. All it needed was some sanding, cleaning and a good feed!!?? I decided to wax this piece as the wood looked in need of care. I could almost hear it drink the wax polish. another few coats over the next while and it will be back to its old self. We all have things we don't need but it's terrible to see such waste. By now this table would have been reduced to woodchip or something.

Cat101
04-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Hiya Eibhlin
I've seen alot of posts by you and I admire your work, well done. Im of the same mind set, with regard to people needlessly throwing things away.

On a different note, I know a couple that took ages looking for their perfect dining table, and after finding one and paying well for it, guess what ? WOODWORM on a new, shop bought table, wouldn't that sicken you ? People keep saying that to me when I say, I got that for nothing, or someone gave that to us, "would you not be afraid of woodworm ?" But "touch wood " (serous pun there) I never have gotten anything with woodworm in it. Anyway just thought I'd share my thoughts.
Well done again and keep up the excellent revamping,I might get around to putting up some of my bits some day but in the meantime keep inspiring us Eibhlin.
Regards cat101

Scrabble
04-03-2010, 11:37 PM
This is fantastic. If you find another one let me know.LOL! I'm looking for a coffee table just like it. Glad you could rescue it.

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
04-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi Cat & scrabble. Thanks for positive vibe. With regard to woodworm, you only get the holes when they eat their way out. No holes in this table so it either hasn't any or they're still munching from the inside! lol Scrabble I have put my old coffee table up on furniture forum. Not as nice as this one but good enough. Eibh.

Gormal
05-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Wow that is some table.......I don't understand how people can throw things like that out!! Just goes to show that they have too much money and not enough sense!!!

jenniferalan
05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
wow that looks new after your tlc, keep up the good work!

mw100860
05-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Hi Eibhlin, that is a fab coffee table, you can see the quality in it. Brilliant restoration job too. I got a lovely desk/ dressing table with matching stool in my local recycling centre. Gave the guy E10 to throw it into the back of my truck; amazing what a backhander will do!! Fantastic dovetail joints etc so just painted it white and recovered the stool and now is a lovely dressing table in my daughter's room. Its a disgrace what people throw away in this disposable society of ours. Perhaps the recession will make them think twice....

Deoir
06-03-2010, 10:28 PM
just wondering if people know of other wood recycling places and do you have to pay to take away any of the items / wood there, like the really nice table above?

I would be interested in the Cork area but I think if people know of others it might be good to have them listed.

Thanks

melissabell
07-03-2010, 08:11 PM
That's gorgeous!!! Fair play to you for rescuing it!!!!

unapam
08-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi, What a great find! Lovely to see it brought back to life (love the little heart on it too!)..Pam

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
09-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Hi all, thanks for your interest and comments. Table settling in well--now covered in books, dust from the fire and the drawer is full of knitting patterns. Pam, Ithought you'd like the heart,the lavander inside combined with the lavender furniture wax is helping the poor old table forget its time in the skip!!

opel astra
15-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Hi like the table,

its amazing what people throw out, how easy is it for people to take things from the dump? was at a dump in mayo last year some guys were throwing things out including a table and chairs asked him if l could have them, was not an issue as i was taking them the guy at the dump stopped me told me i could not take them wish now i smashed them they have signs around the dump stating that you can not take anything what are other dumps like is it easy to take some thing that you might have a use for?

Mandolin
16-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Lovely table, all your stuff is lovely! thanks for a load of brilliant ideas.

My sister's recycling centre in Cork have 'no scavenging' signs up but the guy there thinks it's a mad policy so he turns a blind eye. I think it's to do with Health & Safety (that racket!), in case you hurt yourself dragging something out of a skip, they're afraid we'll sue them - lots of people would unfortunately. It's always worth asking though. Mandolin

elbo
16-03-2010, 02:17 PM
You did a great job. Well done.

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
16-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I never saw a sign at the recycling centre to say 'no scavenging'. There are always people looking for stuff especially in the white goods area. Handy to get glass plate for microwave or parts for appliances etc. When people have something that works or is in good condition, they leave them standing beside the skip. Thats how I got the log box. There were two of them just sitting there and I took the smaller one. No-one stopped me but I didn't ask either!! Don't like that word scavenging--that means I must be a scavenger!! i prefer, re-user or re-purposer.

bunnyblueeyes
24-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Hi Look at the life in the wood and the joy it has with its new owner WELL DONE you sure are a wood lover

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
25-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Thanks bunnyblueeyes, hope my work will inspire others to restore or rescue old pieces. Eibh.

markjamesdaly
17-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Lovely job on the table. They should ENCOURAGE people to take stuff away, because reuse is the best recycling.

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
19-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Hi Mark, I checked with my local recycling centre and the rule actually is that as soon as you pay your money at the gate everything becomes the property of the recycling company. However if you see something you fancy, the guys generally turn a blind eye. I think it is to do with insurance--if you got damaged putting a coffee table into your car, who is responsible? The company don't want to be sued. We have almost legislated ourselves out of existence here in Ireland. Eibh.

Merienne
29-04-2010, 08:47 AM
First of all- lovely table!

It's not just Ireland with it's lawsuit culture that have rules like this, it's the same where I'm from (Scandinavia). Probably for safety reasons there too, which is fair enough. They would have some people there all the time otherwise, climbing into the skips and they could be crushed and killed. I think some people might also not appreciate if their discarded things show up elsewhere. With electrical goods it could also be a real hazard if they are faulty. I agree with the legislation, I think it's really up to all of us to try to find new owners for things, instead of throwing them away.

I've heard that some recycling centres do take things like microwave plates and the glass jugs for coffeemakers aside, so you can buy them for like a euro- a very good idea.

Leahsmam
13-11-2010, 07:32 PM
its lovely. too good to throw out

Leahsmam
13-11-2010, 07:36 PM
if i had the room i would love a table like that. theres nice furniture on jumbletown that sometimes with a bit of paint is gorgeous, nicer than the new stuff

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
13-11-2010, 08:06 PM
if i had the room i would love a table like that. theres nice furniture on jumbletown that sometimes with a bit of paint is gorgeous, nicer than the new stuff
Hi Leahsmam, you are right, there is some georgous stuff and with a bit of effort things sometimes end up even better than the original. The people on JTown are amazing--I don't know if we inspire each other and give each other great ideas or if we are all just naturally talented and creative!! Only trouble is it is addictive and I'm running out of room. Oh well I am happy with what I have got and it leaves more for others!!Eibhlin.