PDA

View Full Version : recycling old materials bedding,curtains etc.

jandenhew
11-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Hi budding sewers
I have made a fancy dress outfit from an old dustsheet the builders left - shame to waste it!
I then got some old curtains and made a tudor coat.
After that I have just made a dress 1860,s style from an old double duvet cover. Fortunately it was just the right length. The width was correct for
the skirt and turning at the bottom saved sewing a hem and the side seams
were already there. I am currently working on the bloomers - two pillowcases
with a gusset and the underskirt from a white cottom duvet and later the
corset from a silk one I got from a charity shop I,m going to unpick.
I would be interested if anyone has similar ideas. regards Jannine

maggied
11-03-2010, 08:09 AM
hi sounds great any chance of a picture of your handy work?
maggied

Mandolin
11-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Hi,
You have great ideas there. You reminded me of a shop in Dublin years ago that used to sell gorgeous clothes made from damask bedlinen & tablecloths, and brocade and velvet curtains. I had a pirate shirt (well, it was the 1980's!) made from a duvet cover (or tablecloth), when they're made up and dyed they look great. I had a fabulous jacket too made in 2 kinds of brocade. They remodelled dinner jackets and leather coats into figured jackets. And they used to trim and bag up the really small offcuts and sell them as facewipes, they wasted nothing. It was a great place.
Thanks for the ideas, Mandolin.

Rachelirl
25-05-2010, 01:04 PM
If you can get your hands on some old loud floral curtains/duvet covers, cover the pattern with a light/see through material, you should be able to see the pattern through the lighter/see through outer layer. I done this with old curtains and it look really well when the light catches them. You could try it with a dress pattern???