PDA

View Full Version : Scarf repurposed

unapam
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I had a length of non slip rug gripper that was gathering dust. Elbo very kindly gave me some old buttons, an aran cardigan I was looking for, some other bits and bobs and a large scarf.

Now, Spring is here and the "Summer" (yeah, right!) is coming so I don't need a scarf do I? So......I made a new rug for the floor by cutting the scarf in two, stitching it side by side and stitching the non slip lining underneath.
Now I have a cosy rug for the floor!

Also, Kildarechick, very kindly gave me some lilac felt pieces. I have a WIP (work in progress) so I'll be adding that to this when it is done.
Thank you both, Elbo and Kildarechick. Watch this space to see those mauve squares turned into something nice. What could it be? Any guesses?

I'll give 10 yoyos to a charity of your choice to the person who gets closest to it. Go on - have a guess.

UPDATE: EIbhlin Ni Shambreai guessed it right as a pair of baby booties. I have sent a cheque to Temple Street for the Cystic Fibrisis Unit.
I have added a photo of the finished booties. Thanks to all who took part in the fun of guessing.

Gormal
01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
What a good idea, looks really cool

Pepperpixie
01-04-2010, 10:14 PM
great idea for the scarf unapam!!! Go on give us a clue to what your wip might be??? What size are the felt pieces??

unapam
01-04-2010, 10:44 PM
great idea for the scarf unapam!!! Go on give us a clue to what your wip might be??? What size are the felt pieces??

Thanks for the comment Pepperpixie...the felt pieces measure 9 by 12" or 23 x31cm and there are two of them and I will use both with very little left over but I will even use that for something! Clue = think small.

elbo
02-04-2010, 11:13 AM
You are just amazing, as usual, Unapam. Never would have guessed that scarf would turn into a mat! Brilliant.

elbo
02-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the comment Pepperpixie...the felt pieces measure 9 by 12" or 23 x31cm and there are two of them and I will use both with very little left over but I will even use that for something! Clue = think small.

I could think and think Unapam, but I would never guess what you might do next.........................

kildarechick
02-04-2010, 12:17 PM
i love the rug :) is it a purse? lol

maufant
02-04-2010, 01:43 PM
The rug is gorgeous Unapam, wish I had your skill, patience & ideas!!

Pepperpixie
02-04-2010, 08:46 PM
unapam, ok taking your clue of small i am thinking along the lines of furry undergarments???

damsel83
02-04-2010, 10:46 PM
you are just amazing!! who could have imagined a floor mat with that? great job. well done. Ur next work may be...........fone jacket?

unapam
02-04-2010, 11:19 PM
i love the rug :) is it a purse? lol

No, not a purse. But hey you are giving me ideas!

unapam
02-04-2010, 11:20 PM
you are just amazing!! who could have imagined a floor mat with that? great job. well done. Ur next work may be...........fone jacket?

No, not a phone jacket...but could be. I'll have to get some more of this to make one of those.! Good guess though.

unapam
02-04-2010, 11:23 PM
I have now made this THING
I'll give more clues to help you along. I made a pair from ONE of the sheets of felt (and used white felt as the lining) and am in the process of making another Pair of them from the second one....I said think small....so now think very small...very young.

New clue: I showed them to a friend and she promptly ordered a pair in Yellow for Easter! An actual commission for my work.

Does that help? or cause more confusion?
OK last clue for today...can be worn but wont ever be worn out by the wearer.

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
03-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi Unapam, it has to be a pair of baby bootees, to be worn but never worn out (cos they'd get wet or dirty outside). Love the floor mat, definitely you are the Queen of Re-cycle--in the soft furnishings dept at least. Happy Easter to you and all you love, Eibhlin.

Belarus
03-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Hi Unapam. Fantastic as usual. You are just so creative the mind boggles. Maybe you are making a teacosy or a little cosy to keep your boiled egg hot - an eggcup cosy. Keep up the great work. Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter.

elbo
03-04-2010, 10:23 AM
I have now made this THING
I'll give more clues to help you along. I made a pair from ONE of the sheets of felt (and used white felt as the lining) and am in the process of making another Pair of them from the second one....I said think small....so now think very small...very young.

New clue: I showed them to a friend and she promptly ordered a pair in Yellow for Easter! An actual commission for my work.

Does that help? or cause more confusion?
OK last clue for today...can be worn but wont ever be worn out by the wearer.

Yes, I agree with Eibhlin. A pair of babies booties it has to be.
But of course knowing you Unapam, the leftover bits could be used for anything, purse, handbag, table mats, the mind boggles at what you will come up with next. Keep up the good work.

unapam
03-04-2010, 03:32 PM
Bingo Eibhlin! I have them done but can't get a pic up til next week as am away.

What charity do you want to nominate?

Cheers pam :-)

kildarechick
03-04-2010, 03:36 PM
cute!!!

kildarechick
03-04-2010, 03:37 PM
i looked at em and saw felt hahaha

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
03-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Bingo Eibhlin! I have them done but can't get a pic up til next week as am away.

What charity do you want to nominate?

Cheers pam :-)
Cystic Fibrosis Research please. Thanks Pam, Happy Easter. Eibh.

unapam
03-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Cystic Fibrosis Research please. Thanks Pam, Happy Easter. Eibh.

Cystic Fibrosis Research it is so. Does anyone know where they are so I can PIF (pass it on?)

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
04-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Cystic Fibrosis Research it is so. Does anyone know where they are so I can PIF (pass it on?)
Temple Street Childrens Hosp have just opened a new CF unit so you could send it there, in memory of my son Fergal who was a CF patient there for twelve years. His anniversary is 9th next Friday, so very appropriate. Thanks, Eibh.

unapam
04-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Temple Street Childrens Hosp have just opened a new CF unit so you could send it there, in memory of my son Fergal who was a CF patient there for twelve years. His anniversary is 9th next Friday, so very appropriate. Thanks, Eibh.

Hi Eibhlin, will sort at out when the banks open again and post receipt on here. Take care, Pam

SarahK
07-04-2010, 07:01 PM
i say your going to blanket stitch the two pieces together, and use it to cover a jam jar that will be holding a bunch of flowers....

admittedly, this is a very specific guess.. lol

SarahK
07-04-2010, 07:03 PM
oh i just saw, someone guessed already!

so close and yet, so very far....lol

unapam
11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I have added the photo of the booties as correctly guessed by Eibhlin. :-)

elbo
11-04-2010, 05:23 PM
They are so cute. Fabulous work. The stitching around the edging perfect of course. Brilliant idea.

Gormal
11-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Aww they're so cute. Love the neat stitching!!

Betty Boo 69
13-04-2010, 10:45 PM
The bootie are so cute :)

damsel83
15-04-2010, 07:24 PM
gorgeouse!!!! wish i had such skills. its really beautiful. well done

kildarechick
15-04-2010, 08:15 PM
how beautiful.

kildarechick
15-04-2010, 08:15 PM
how did you m,ake em? i want to try make a little pair for my godchildren

ann n
15-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Hi i love your ideas they are lovely

unapam
25-04-2010, 08:42 PM
how did you m,ake em? i want to try make a little pair for my godchildren

Hi, I used a pattern dating from 1948 which has been re-issued. I think I bought it on Ebay or Etsy. It is by Simplicity There are lots of these patterns available on the net both for sale and for free.

No machine needed as they are all hand stitched with blanket stitch using emboidery thread.
They are quite easy as made from felt which does not fray and needs no hemming. They take about two to three hours to make a pair.

littlelady
26-04-2010, 11:01 PM
well done!!
great imagination

you done a great job :)

SueDub
24-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Just wanted to say what a wonderfully talented and thoughtful person you are..

Keep up the good work..

SueDub