PDA

View Full Version : restoring slate fireplace

philly_ramble_on
19-05-2010, 02:54 PM
hi all.
recently moved into our new (old) home and in the living room there is a slate (so we've been told) fireplace. it has been painted to look like a wooden fireplace but it doesn't feel like wood so i can only assume it is slate. because it has been painted a dark wood colour it makes the room look very dark (it's quite a dark room anyway). we want to brighten up the room by changing the colour of the fireplace but because its so old and otherwise in perfect condition i don't want to do anything that might damage it.
any advice/tips?? thanks
philly

Fries-With-That
19-05-2010, 09:56 PM
If its been painted already, why not give the current paint a light sanding and paint it country cream or white.

You could also paint it white and using a feather drag lines of black paint across it to give it a marble appearance.
Drag the black paint across the white when the white is still wet it blends the black into the white and you get a grey/black/white marble effect.

Rework the same area while the paint is still damp to create the veining with feathers. Use Goose or Swan feathers for best results. (crow feathers will do too)
Lightly hold the feather by the quill and pull it diagonally across the surface, turning it from side to side. The secret to believable veining is to have subtlety.

junkista
21-05-2010, 09:29 AM
hi,
i suppose the most important thing is not to damage the old slate. ive got an old terracotta and slate floor, i cleaned bits of it with sugar soap, it seems to have done it no harm.. you could contact fireplace restorers for advice? treaty fireplaces in limerick might give you some info..good luck!
junkista