PDA

View Full Version : Need New Furniture ?

Rachelirl
25-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Strapped for cash and need new items of furniture for your home?

Paint and reuse old furniture. It's generally more solidly built than the modern stuff and you get a much better effect as it generally doesn’t look as flimsy as some of the modern furniture can look, regardless of the price you pay for the new stuff!

I've added a few things that I have rescued and used for my own little home.

You might be impressed or not but I decided to post some stuff anyway as I’ve been interested in recycling furniture long before I discovered jumbletown.

It’s amazing what you can do by adding a few new handles, trimming etc to an old piece and applying a few coats of paint.

Hope you enjoy!

By the way: the wardrobe used to be an old brown one that got a few coats of cream paint and new handles; the coffee table was originally dark brown and I just painted it; the black tiles around the stove came from an old "sample" from a hardware shop so were free, and the chair used to be dark brown with an old dirty looking brown cover. Again, I just painted it and recovered the seat using a fabric remnant. I have six of these chairs and they look fantastic in a kitchen.

more before and after pics added

This is a wardrobe I received from another Jumbletowner - it wasn't in great shape but with wood filler, new handles and many coats of paint, I bet it hasn't looked as well in years... LOL

By the way, the little chair in the pic was also re covered; it's one of six

Belarus
25-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Rachelirl they are absolutely fantastic. You are right the old furniture is much stronger and the coat of paint makes such a difference. The chairs are beautiful. Well done and thanks for sharing. Regards.

julfren
25-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Great work Rachelirl. I absolutely love the wardrobe. Very unusual. The chair, table and mirror look stunning. Hope you enjoy.

Jul

unapam
25-05-2010, 07:11 PM
Everything looks great. I agree with you about old furniture being solid and built to last. A facelift is often all it needs.

Rachelirl
26-05-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks very much for your comments they are much appreciated :-)

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
09-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Lovely job Rachel, the furniture all looks great and there is such satisfaction in saying 'I did it myself'. Well done--keep showing your work, it is great to get ideas and encouragement from seeing what others have done. Eibh.

Rachelirl
09-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Thank you very much Eibhlin for your kind comments, the stuff that I recently posted was done a few years ago and I haven’t had the opportunity to do any more pieces for a while. I can’t wait to get back in to it though!