PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Scraps to Unique Hat

unapam
07-07-2010, 04:50 PM
At St Raphael's Fete last Sunday I found a remnant of gorgeous silver netting that put me in mind of the gorgeous hats of the forties.

I had some pieces of black felt in my stash - not big enough to make much but too good to bin. So I went searching the 'net and found a great tutorial on Youtube for making a felt pillbox hat. The link is below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ADk96d8Qc

Soon I had the basic hat done, so out came my box of broken costume jewellery which yeilded a diamante buckle, and I found a piece of co-ordinating silver/black fabric salvaged from a child's damaged dress.

I threaded the fabric through the buckle to make a bow, cinched the netting and stitched it all in place.

I still have some of all the materials left so I am off to make another one! (update: second one made - see lower down thread)

Linn
07-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Wow you really amaze me with what you can make, your brillant and the hat is beautiful.

Gormal
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Fantastic Unapam as always. I've been keeping an eye out for that birdcage veiling. The hat is gorgeous.

unapam
07-07-2010, 06:36 PM
This is how the second one turned out.

melissabell
07-07-2010, 07:28 PM
You should sell them for racing season it's gorgeous!!!

Linn
07-07-2010, 08:00 PM
This is how the second one turned out.
Absolutely beautiful x x

junkista
07-07-2010, 09:14 PM
oh my.. these are so lovely!!!

lissy-bee
08-07-2010, 08:07 AM
OMG!!!!! these are fabulous, might be calling on you next time i need a to wow people. well done!

lilac
08-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Oh Unpam they are gorgeous and great ideas, i'm a hataholic, so will be popping in again. lol Lilac

Belarus
08-07-2010, 08:50 PM
They are fabulous Unapam. You should definitely take up designing. You could be a millionaire in no time. Thanks for sharing and well done.

irishrose
09-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Wow. You're really a font of creative outside-the-box genius!

MarieMc
16-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Lady's day at the races is coming to mind. Well done Phillip Tracy may look out Unipam

elbo
18-07-2010, 12:03 PM
You are just gifted Unapam. Another excellent project. Well done yet again.

noni
20-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Well done Unapam, they are gorgeous

MisseM
20-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Wow, so beautiful. Well done.

noahboah
21-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Fab luv it what a great talent you have.

unapam
22-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks to all for your lovely comments. I enjoyed making the hats so much I decided to rustle up some more. I had a round box that came apart and gave me three hat forms. It just happened to be exactly the right size for an adult female head so I just had to cover them and decorate.

The blue one is covered in brocade from a damaged fifties dress and some netting I had to hand. It has no crown so you could wear your hair trailing over the back and it looks like a wide headband and the netting can be drawn back from the face for another look.

The pink one is just fabric gathered in an elastic band to give the pleated look and the rough edges covered with an old broken brooch. Hope you get some ideas from them.

coca12
30-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks to all for your lovely comments. I enjoyed making the hats so much I decided to rustle up some more. I had a round box that came apart and gave me three hat forms. It just happened to be exactly the right size for an adult female head so I just had to cover them and decorate.

The blue one is covered in brocade from a damaged fifties dress and some netting I had to hand. It has no crown so you could wear your hair trailing over the back and it looks like a wide headband and the netting can be drawn back from the face for another look.

The pink one is just fabric gathered in an elastic band to give the pleated look and the rough edges covered with an old broken brooch. Hope you get some ideas from them.
omg they are beautiful i wish i had such talent like you aww i think the pink is the nicest i l;ove pink :) beautiful

coca12
30-07-2010, 03:10 PM

omg they are beautiful i wish i had such talent like you aww i think the pink is the nicest i love pink :) beautiful