PDA

View Full Version : Attic blinds!

flash
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Hi.

I have converted my attic and have lovely velux type windows which let in lots of light. I have visitors coming to stay soon and they will be sleeping up there. I need blinds or window covers of some sort but when I looked them up online the prices were almost €150 per window! I have 4 large windows and cannot afford that before my guests arrive. Anyone have any ideas on how to help me dress these windows temporarily to allow my guests to sleep in darkness??
Thanks for reading

Fries-With-That
02-08-2010, 10:22 AM
The easiest way to dress these windown is to use curtain wire top and bottom of the window.

Stretch the wire as tight as you can and just hang a regular curtain over the wire, if you have a sewing machine you could always cut the material to fit the window and hem the bottom and run the wire through the hem.

flash
02-08-2010, 10:26 AM
brilliant thanks for that! Good idea. I will get the proper blinds eventually but just need something quick for now and that sounds ideal!

dee1
02-08-2010, 01:17 PM
If you have or can get blackout lining,you can use as the curtain again with the curtain wire top and bottom,but without the heavy bulkiness.

Marhen
12-07-2012, 10:24 PM
My friend was in the same position and we came up with an idea to use her existing curtains by putting a curtain pole above the window and used another pole half way down on the wall and just draped the curtains inside the bottom pole. We were surprised how nice it looked. by the way if you buy brush or mop handles and paint them they are much cheaper than buying curtain poles.

bopeep101
13-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Some great ideas mentioned above but if down the line you still want to purchase blinds the web site "www.itzala.ie" is a great place to shop for blinds for velux / fakro / roofLITE windows. I got mine from here at a really cheap price a few years ago and found them great. Blinds still perfect with daily use. Good luck with your project.

czlowiczek
25-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Hi flash,

the best and inexpensive way is to use 2x telescopic ( extendable ) poles.
No need for making holes anywhere.Done mine like this 3 years ago and still havent got around to changing them for proper velux blinds:)

carp
08-10-2012, 07:08 PM
got velux blinds off the company myblinds.ie. great value worth a peek.

amelies
20-11-2012, 05:20 PM
we got 3 very big velux back out and 1 medium velux black out for half the normal price ordering via itzala.ie. 88 euro including vat when we were quoted 135 per blind + 40 to fit the all lot
just waiting for the delivery but according to the threads on rollercoaster this company is very good and everyone was recommending them
hth