PDA

View Full Version : old old armchair given a bit of TLC!

junkista
12-08-2010, 08:26 PM
hi jters,
tudlytops generously gave me this lovely old armchair in march. im delighted to have given it a new lease of life and to save it from the skip. all i need now are some antimacassars! it took me a full 5 days to do it, it was hard work and ive got the cuts and blisters to prove it!
hope you like it, im chuffed to bits! its my first upholstery job.
regards
junkista

palminnie1
12-08-2010, 08:29 PM
that is fantastic, like it alot.
well done. it looks mega comfy too.
p

Davidoff
12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
GREAT JOB!!! looks FANTASTIC!!!!

junkista
12-08-2010, 09:32 PM
GREAT JOB!!! looks FANTASTIC!!!!

how much? ;) !!

junkista
12-08-2010, 09:35 PM
that is fantastic, like it alot.
well done. it looks mega comfy too.
p

thanks a mill palminie,
it is very comfy but now that its all pretty and pristine i may put a velvet rope round it with a do not sit on chair sign!! ;)
junkista

dee1
12-08-2010, 09:52 PM
Could you make slip covers for a seatee shaped like your chair?
and if so how would you go about it...I have a seatee,,, the seat and back can be removed for washing but the arms are so grubby from little hands that its a show and throws I hate....what kind of material did you use?I presume it was a heavy cotton but was it got in hickeys???/please help.....OH AND OBVIOUSLY I LOVE YOUR CHAIR just in case i forgot to mention it..

junkista
12-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Could you make slip covers for a seatee shaped like your chair?
and if so how would you go about it...I have a seatee,,, the seat and back can be removed for washing but the arms are so grubby from little hands that its a show and throws I hate....what kind of material did you use?I presume it was a heavy cotton but was it got in hickeys???/please help.....OH AND OBVIOUSLY I LOVE YOUR CHAIR just in case i forgot to mention it..
you could make loose covers so they could be washed, id pre shrink the fabric first to be safe. i havent made loose covers before tho. i used the fabric pieces that i removed as templates and i took lots of photos to recall how it was covered. i continually refered to the photos!i just couldnt remember the little details of how and where. the fabric is like mattress ticking ,a heavy cotton but not upholstry weight, its from hickeys.
hate throws too!
good luck with it

dee1
12-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks hun, may call on you again,when i get sorted with material,if thats ok .

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi Junkista, this is a fantastic job---what a transformation!! You should be really proud of your work, Eibhlin.

unapam
13-08-2010, 01:05 AM
WOW! What a transformation. You can be rightly proud of it. Well done you.

Belarus
13-08-2010, 06:56 AM
That is absolutely fantastic. You should be really proud of your chair. It is a very professional looking job. Well done.

Redsquigy
13-08-2010, 01:01 PM
OMG that is really a fantastic job - would love to have the talent to do something like that. Well done

junkista
13-08-2010, 02:44 PM
thanks all for the encouraging comments
much appreciated,
regard
junkista

junkista
13-08-2010, 02:49 PM
OMG that is really a fantastic job - would love to have the talent to do something like that. Well done
hi redsquigy,thanks a million for the compliment.. i had nt done uphols before and it turned out ok,so im sure you could do the same. if you have a staple gun and a sewing machine. give it a try!! if i can do it so can you!

Gormal
13-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Brilliant job, very professional! Well worth the blisters ;o)

4eyes
13-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Absolutely wonderful. I can just about imagine the hard work.
You can buy ticking on e-bay quite reasonably.

julfren
13-08-2010, 05:54 PM
That armchair job is A1! Well done! That fabric is absolutely beautiful. One of my very very favourite materials- very chic! Curtains of the same material would go so nicely with the chair!

Bunty
13-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Excellent job. V. professional looking.

TickTock
13-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Gobsmackingly, jawdropingly, fabulous!!! Well done!

junkista
13-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Absolutely wonderful. I can just about imagine the hard work.
You can buy ticking on e-bay quite reasonably.
hi 4eyes, il be checking out ebay fabric, this cost 25 euro at hickeys!

junkista
13-08-2010, 10:18 PM
That armchair job is A1! Well done! That fabric is absolutely beautiful. One of my very very favourite materials- very chic! Curtains of the same material would go so nicely with the chair!
thanks julfren,
curtains would be great in this, didnt think of that, but ive already made curtains for my sitting room in a contrasting fabric, ticking stripe bit expensive tho, it was 25 euro a metre in hickeys! ouch! wont be buying more of it!

junkista
13-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Gobsmackingly, jawdropingly, fabulous!!! Well done!

thanks a million ticktock!!

irishrose
14-08-2010, 09:11 AM
That looks terrific! Well done!

irishrose
15-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Terrific job! It's lovely.

junkista
15-08-2010, 12:34 PM
thanks irishrose,
it was hard work..the kids are banned from sitting on it! ha! ha!

magda_ola
16-08-2010, 07:32 PM
looks lovely; it's really professional for first time upholstery project; good job!

tudlytops
17-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Hiya! How are you keeping, I've only just seen it, its fantastic... well done. :)

junkista
18-08-2010, 05:36 PM
looks lovely; it's really professional for first time upholstery project; good job!
thanks magda!

junkista
18-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Hiya! How are you keeping, I've only just seen it, its fantastic... well done. :)
hiya tudlytops! im great thanks, hope all is good with you and yours.. thanks again for the chair!!

Leahsmam
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
well done

bubbles747
06-09-2010, 01:20 PM
this is one of the best transformations ive seen on JT keep up the good work!

junkista
13-09-2010, 04:30 PM
this is one of the best transformations ive seen on JT keep up the good work!
thank you so much bubbles!! im so pleased with it, im looking out for another old armchair to reupholster.. it was hard work but well worth it.
best regards
junkista

Torann
22-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Brilliant!

melissabell
23-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Holy Crap, First time????? it looks fantastic, well done :)

junkista
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
thanks toran and melissa bell,
i do love my little arm chair and im so very pleased with how it turned out.
i have completed a few more projects which i must post.
the before and after section really gets my creative juices going!!
the completed projects are amazing!!
junkista

Cherry
05-12-2013, 11:50 PM
I love this chair.. the contrast is so great between old and new, mostly due to your material choice. this post opened my eyes to how well an upcycled piece could be and gave me the confidence to try myself. Thank you for sharing :)

AONB
17-12-2013, 05:54 PM
That does look good!
I just finished a few reupholstery projects. To refresh my memory I went to a few upholstery classes. I suggested to the teacher/other students that I wanted to use ANTIMACCASARS and they all looked at me like I was deranged! Im so glad you use this word too - I lived in USA, and thats the word we had 8-) By the way, I just made my own - in matching fabric - put a length of fabric around the arm of the chair, then pinned a panel at the front so it 'mirrored' the upholstery - look great, and keep the arms clean.

mondubics
19-12-2013, 06:06 PM
>>>>> By the way, I just made my own - in matching fabric - put a length of fabric around the arm of the chair, then pinned a panel at the front so it 'mirrored' the upholstery - look great, and keep the arms clean.
It looks really lovely!
If you go for arm covers, I would suggest doing something similar to AONB. The panel should be a rectangle a bit wider than the arm, and a bit longer than you want, and the longer piece to go over the arm and down the sides (so, twice the height + the width of the arm at the top + a bit for seams); then there are 2 options:
Simple solution: - Just like AONB suggested
Slightly more elaborate: - get some piping with a 'flange' on it (you could make some with leftover fabric cut on the bias and plain piping, or the weekend market in East Wall has some). Stitch the piping to the rectangle, rounding the top end and probably not doing the bottom edge. Then stitch the longer piece as before, stitching very close to the piping in both cases. You will need a narrow zipper foot to get really close to the piping. This link (for cushion covers, so ignore the zip bit) might be useful. http://sew-good.blogspot.ie/2011/09/piped-and-hidden-zipped-cushions.html

ycul
19-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Well done, fantastic job fir a novice! Ycul

Sky
12-01-2014, 12:25 AM
This is one of my top favourite make overs and have shown it to many friends as an example of what can be done. A great job. Well done.

Numph
01-02-2014, 07:10 PM
May I add my congratulations.

It is just fantastic - You could not buy anything as nice plus you have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. Brilliant.