JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Repurposed stuff/remnants (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=77715)

Gormal 11-09-2010 10:25 AM

Mobile phone cover

5 Attachment(s)
I bought a phone sock of ebay a few years back and it's great. Nice snug fit.
If you wanted to make your own, you could
a) knit one

b) get a nice patterned sock, turn inside out, slip the phone into it, so you know where to cut it. Pinch fabric together at side of phone and cut about 2cm out from there giving you a seam allowance.
Remember you want a snug fit, so slightly stretch the fabric and pin. Test that the phone fits ok, then sew side & bottom. Trim off the excess and finish the raw edge to help stop the stitches fraying.

c)sew one. Take a piece of paper wrap around phone, pinch to mark side seam, add 1cm seam allowance top, side & bottom.
If you want an elasticated top add 2.5cm seam allowance. If you want a flap closure cut out a long rectangle. Or use an elastic string to hook around a button.
See pictures, the pen line in the last one is the actually sewing line, leave 1cm all round for seam. If you want to do this sewing version I could write up a tutorial with pics or may be able to make one for you depending on phone.

mondubics 11-09-2010 11:54 AM

Thanks Gormal,
You went to a lot of trouble. I think I can work it out from the pictures, so now I'm going to look for a remnant!
Marie

Gormal 30-09-2010 02:34 PM

winter woolies

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks again unapam I finally used up that bit of big wool. Also thanks to Laineymc for the buttons, they were a perfect addition for the neck warmer.
The hat is a drops pattern, mitts and scarf are own pattern. They are going to be so cosy for the winter days.

And this is the bench I made from the broken fencing, I even reused all the screws which took a bit of encouragement to straighten out again. yes I know it needs a lick of paint.... I promise to do it before the next millennium when I decide on the colour.........lol

Gormal 01-11-2010 04:37 PM

Notice Board

1 Attachment(s)
this is made from bits of cardboard, polystyrene, printed paper, string and glue.
First I trimmed the polystyrene sheet to size, it is about 1.5cm thick. Then I laid it on cardboard and cut around it with a 2 inch allowance. Made a frame with the cardboard, added string at top, taped the corners to hold in place. I found some patterns on a paper craft site and printed out, cut and stuck together to form a border which I then glued around the sides and edge. I'm pleased with the result and got rid of some rubbish in the process!

paprika 05-11-2010 08:39 PM

Wow!! ... I'm lost for words. These are really great ideas, I love them! Well done, keep up the good work! :)

tudlytops 07-11-2010 11:15 PM

Gormal, there's just no stopping you, is there :P

Gormal 02-12-2010 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@Tudlytops, lol yes there is just steal all the junk ;)

I've been very lazy lately, well actually I've been knitting, busy with a couple of things but legwarmers get priority....lol no surprise there!!
Anyway I got a pile of half slips from Elbo (thankyou) and have started the conversion. I simply made it into a full slip because I don't like the low cut dresses/tops. I removed the elastic from the front part of the waist and folded over ribbon, added ribbon straps and shaped the sides for a better fit... job done. I'm going to do the same with a couple of the others, when I pick up some lace trim, the rest I will shorten a little to suit knee length skirts.

Gormal 30-03-2011 04:27 PM

Beads

1 Attachment(s)
just received a tub of beads from loadsakids and have made a start on them. It's a new thing for me to try out but so far have made a bookmark and a star that I'm not sure what to do with yet.

TickTock 30-03-2011 09:11 PM

I'm off to check some recipes which use evaporated milk so I can get my hands on one of those tins! It's not something I would normally have. My MIL used to make chocolate+toffee slices but I think she used condensed milk, not evaporated milk, or are they the same thing? Any suggestions?

Gormal 31-03-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TickTock
I'm off to check some recipes which use evaporated milk so I can get my hands on one of those tins! It's not something I would normally have. My MIL used to make chocolate+toffee slices but I think she used condensed milk, not evaporated milk, or are they the same thing? Any suggestions?

Same thing as far as I know, just watch out for what kind of top the tins have. If you go to the carnation.co.uk/recipes section you will find a load of things to make. Now you've got me wanting Millionare's Shortbread! LOL

TickTock 31-03-2011 07:50 AM

Ah that's the one Gormal, Millionaire's Shortbread, I'd forgotten the name! Will check out Carnation (gosh, there's a real old brand). Strange how some big names have disappeared and some like Carnation are still around. I hope we don't lose Eason's now they are having redundancies.

psj 10-04-2011 09:50 AM

free patterns on line

Hi Gormal

You mentioned a while back a website with patterns for free that you print off at home. What is this site? I have some things i want to make on the machine and i have the basic ideas of what i want in my head like a baby bag with 2 sides as my son will be 18 months when my next child is born PG! So rather than havin 2 bags just have 1 to do both children.

Thanks for reading!

Psj

Mandolin 10-04-2011 10:31 AM

bag patterns

Hello psj, I found good instructions on this site http://www.u-handbag.com/ and there are probably links there you can follow up on. I reckon Gormal has a better suss on it though, she's made a few nice ones. M.

Gormal 11-04-2011 11:41 AM

@ Psj. For learning bag making I used a blog called creativecutie.com Daphna has some really good tutorials to help with designing/making your own.

@ Mandolin. Thankyou for the compliment!

Gormal 30-04-2011 12:12 PM

Branch off cuts

3 Attachment(s)
Don't burn all your twigs! Re-purpose them in the garden etc.

For the twig trim/mini fence I used the wire from excess tumble dryer hose and drilled holes in the sticks about 1" from the top and threaded them onto the wire, probably best to do the bottom too if you have enough wire. Good for putting around your plastic plant pots too.

Next. Make a shawl pin from a twig. Just trim with the carpet knife and sand down to finish. You can either draw a design on it or add beads held in place with pins or skinny nails. Now I just have to knit the shawl.....lol

Mandolin 30-04-2011 06:01 PM

I love both of these ideas, the pin is gorgeous. I think I'll dickie up an ugly plastic pot with a band of twigs like that. Really lovely ideas, thanks.

TickTock 30-04-2011 07:13 PM

Lovely stuff here. The pin is brilliant - at first glance I thought it was a piece of antler!!

Gormal 12-05-2011 02:54 PM

Decorative tissue box to Birthday Card

3 Attachment(s)
Seemed a shame to burn the box, so I made a tri fold card out of the tissue box.
I tidied up the aperture with a stanley knife and made sure the edges were straight. Stuck a picture in the window, printed out a verse, glued that on and there you have one quirky birthday card.

TickTock 12-05-2011 08:35 PM

Love it Gormal! Great recycling there!

Mandolin 13-05-2011 02:31 PM

Repurposed t-shirt

2 Attachment(s)
My first ‘before & after’ thanks to all the inspiration on this thread. I couldn’t find the right colour leggings for under my new dress so my (clever)aunt suggested this: I got the colour I wanted in a very large long sleeved t-shirt, nearly new for €3. The sleeves became the calf-length legs and I cut the pants part out of the rest of the shirt. You can see the diagonal seams on the legs where they join the pants part. They won’t win any sewing competitions and they’re a bit baggy in the bum, but all that’ll be hidden under the dress. I’m delighted with them.

Gormal 15-05-2011 02:22 PM

Well done Mandolin. What a good idea.
Diagonal seams are bang on trend these days.

Gormal 06-06-2011 10:15 AM

Bicycle Tubes

1 Attachment(s)
After doing a tidy upper in the shed, I had some old tubes to recycle. Most seem to make belts or wallets from them, I'm still trying to decide what to make and if I have enough tubes.
Anyway I made a start with trouser straps for when out cycling. They are just plain as they're for the man in my life, but I might sneak a doodle in later ;o)
I have to polish them up with flash dash or something.

Also saw a key rack made using the valves so might try that eventually.

Mandolin 06-06-2011 11:21 AM

Great idea Gormal, I've seen a lot of stuff on Instructables for re-using inner tubes, mostly wallets like you say, but other little knacky things too. I like this one though!

Mandolin 06-06-2011 11:55 AM

Webbing strap & elastic pen/phone holder

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a thing I made out of a discarded strap from a banjaxed camera bag, and a bit of black elastic (pillaged from a waistband). I was tormented carrying around my work diary, specs, phone and pen and forever dropping one or other and fishing around on the floor of the car. This keeps them all together. I stitched the elastic onto the front of the strap leaving gaps for my things, and another bit of elastic at the back to keep it tight on the diary cover.

Gormal 06-06-2011 12:39 PM

That's really cool and practical, I love it!

lushington 07-06-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gormal
Seemed a shame to burn the box, so I made a tri fold card out of the tissue box.
I tidied up the aperture with a stanley knife and made sure the edges were straight. Stuck a picture in the window, printed out a verse, glued that on and there you have one quirky birthday card. http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/atta...d=13052120 42

I am really impressed with the recycling and absolutely love the caption inside :D

Gormal 16-06-2011 01:58 PM

Uses for socks

3 Attachment(s)
I couldn't wear these as they were too tight so rather than throw them out I decided to use one pair for a no sew draught excluder, simply stuff 1 and a half of the socks then slip over each other.

Next pair were converted to mittens. I really loved the pattern and wanted to make something practical and useful.
So I traced out my hand made a paper pattern with a rounded top, marked the thumb area and cut a thumb piece.
Sock inside out, mark round top, stitch. Cut, then carefully cut the thumb hole.
stitch and cut the thumb bit, then hand stitch 1st to hold in place and sew with the machine.

shonastar 17-06-2011 09:17 AM

Hi Gormal, love the sock ideas! Brilliant, I now have a use for the 6 pairs of knee high day glo purple socks I was given as a present (which I would probably wear but they're too tight!) Well done.

Mandolin 17-06-2011 11:54 AM

How do you come up with these things... they're brilliant!

Gormal 06-07-2011 06:29 PM

Bric a brac wind chime

3 Attachment(s)
Eibhlinn was kind enough to give me some belts for re-purposing a while back, actually seems ages ago. Well since it was raining and I was twitchy, I went to work on making the wind chime.
I used beads from a bag gotten off JT, gut left over from the basket bin, tiny pot which the seed failed to grow, glassy belt beads and hoops from another belt.
I made a bead bracelet to fit the lip of the pot and secured each drop evenly around this, with one long one in the center.
Makes a very calming jingle. Thanks Eibh!

melissabell 06-07-2011 08:39 PM

I haven't looked at this thread in ages and my you have been busy!!!! Fair play you've given me some great ideas. Well done ladies :)

wonderboy 06-07-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gormal
Forgot to add the slippers(thanks for the idea Unapam). Also tried silicone patches on sole for non slip... I don't know how well that will wash/last, but I'm not slipping anymore.

Also made a summer nightie, thanks for the inspiration Unapam same as your pillowcase dress. Made a little corsage to add cuteness. Used some beads (thanks Mandolin) to hide the button holes.

just wondering if there is a pattern for the slippers .. my nan always knit some for us but hasnt been able to for the last few years and my wife said she would now instead but doesnt have the pattern

thanks

wonderboy

Gormal 07-07-2011 12:12 PM

@wonderboy Tell her to join Ravelry.com has a hoard of patterns both knit & crochet and plenty free ones.

http://mindie.wordpress.com/2010/04/...ipper-pattern/

for a knitted slipper

melissabell 07-07-2011 04:31 PM

Hi,

If anyone needs knitting patterns for anything, I collect them so I can scan them in and e-mail them to you :) Everything from accessories, baby clothes, adult clothes etc :)

Mandolin 09-07-2011 01:26 PM

Non-slip slipper soles

I wonder would a piece of inner tube work as a non-slip? Cut in the shape of a heel / sole and glued on...
Think I saw somewhere too that lines of silicone squeezed onto the soles (from those tubes you use for sealing around the bath) makes them grippy.

Gormal 09-07-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin
I wonder would a piece of inner tube work as a non-slip? Cut in the shape of a heel / sole and glued on...
Think I saw somewhere too that lines of silicone squeezed onto the soles (from those tubes you use for sealing around the bath) makes them grippy.

Aye the tubes would work, will try that on the misters slippers when I make them, bored of knitting just now, I actually used the silicone for my non slip, rubbed into the wool to grip and it survived the wash too.

Gormal 12-07-2011 01:58 PM

Jar decoupage

2 Attachment(s)
So I had some corrugated card salvaged from a gift box which I cut to size for the toppers... lets call them that to save confusion. I found an image I liked and printed it out 3 times, cut all missing out certain bits with each layer. I arranged the butterfly bits and glued the whole one to the card, then used small bits of tape to attach the next two layers, I repeated this with the fairy.
Next I found some background images I liked and made them into a printable border for the jars. Once printed and cut I used that sticky back plastic to protect them and stick them around each jar. Glued the toppers in place. Now I have two decorative jars that can be used for a number of things...... including the next floral gift I might receive.

TickTock 12-07-2011 03:37 PM

Very pretty! I had the same sort of idea for the jars that sit on my kitchen windowsill but couldn't visualise it and your project has helped enormously. I have an empty balsamic vinegar bottle which I was going to fill with coloured marbles but now I have to search the attic for my sons old toyboxes to find some!!!

Gormal 14-07-2011 03:43 PM

from old Tees and a pillow

3 Attachment(s)
Been wanting to make these for ages but wasn't able to get a hold of felt until this week. I'm still at it but here are the first Plushies of the machine. Frankie the green monster is made from a t-shirt the other two are from felt sheets I picked up at a car booter. I hand stitched the felt eyes etc on.
One looks more like a carrot than monster...lol the cat is also from an old tee.

mondubics 14-07-2011 05:24 PM

I loooove the expressions on their faces! and those teeth! Keep it up.