JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Repurposed stuff/remnants (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=77715)

Gormal 03-09-2010 03:59 PM

Water caddy

1 Attachment(s)
Quilted holder for my water bottle. Used hook n loop on the straps to hold it in place........ well I hope it does, guess it depends how bumpy the road is lol.

kitty 03-09-2010 04:16 PM

Your brillant!

your work is brilliant, feeling really creative now

keep up the good work

regards
kitty :)

Gormal 10-09-2010 05:00 PM

the Roman Blind

1 Attachment(s)
This had been on my "to do list" all summer and 2 days ago I finally got around to doing it. Fabric, lining, wood, 2 screws and o rings from stash, bought nylon string and curtain eyes & hooks.
Instructions on how to make it are here

www.alternative-windows.com/roman-blind.htm

I stapled the blind to the wood, but the velcro is a fab idea if you need to wash it regularly. I only used 3 rods and next time I'm going to sew the rod pockets to the lining before I attach the 2 bits of fabric together.
Anyway the arrow in the pic is where it is secured to a cup hook. And it's only partially up.

unapam 10-09-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gormal
This had been on my "to do list" all summer and 2 days ago I finally got around to doing it. Fabric, lining, wood, 2 screws and o rings from stash, bought nylon string and curtain eyes & hooks.
Instructions on how to make it are here

www.alternative-windows.com/roman-blind.htm

I stapled the blind to the wood, but the velcro is a fab idea if you need to wash it regularly. I only used 3 rods and next time I'm going to sew the rod pockets to the lining before I attach the 2 bits of fabric together.
Anyway the arrow in the pic is where it is secured to a cup hook. And it's only partially up.

That's great. I am now inspired to do the same for my bathroom window. I have the blind for two years now but was sure how to go about it. I also love the neck warmer and tshirt you did. Great work. Very inspiring! Pam

mondubics 10-09-2010 10:56 PM

All these great things got me thinking - I need something to protect the surface of my phone from scratches.
I don't mind if I have to slide it out to answer it, so long as it doesn't fall out accidentally.
Everyone must have off-cuts of fabric that would make something like that?
It would be better if the inside wasn't slippy, more like microfleece, to clean the phone going in and out.
But it has to LOOK NICE!!!!!
Can anyone do the pattern or suggest how to do it?

Gormal 11-09-2010 10:25 AM

Mobile phone cover

5 Attachment(s)
I bought a phone sock of ebay a few years back and it's great. Nice snug fit.
If you wanted to make your own, you could
a) knit one

b) get a nice patterned sock, turn inside out, slip the phone into it, so you know where to cut it. Pinch fabric together at side of phone and cut about 2cm out from there giving you a seam allowance.
Remember you want a snug fit, so slightly stretch the fabric and pin. Test that the phone fits ok, then sew side & bottom. Trim off the excess and finish the raw edge to help stop the stitches fraying.

c)sew one. Take a piece of paper wrap around phone, pinch to mark side seam, add 1cm seam allowance top, side & bottom.
If you want an elasticated top add 2.5cm seam allowance. If you want a flap closure cut out a long rectangle. Or use an elastic string to hook around a button.
See pictures, the pen line in the last one is the actually sewing line, leave 1cm all round for seam. If you want to do this sewing version I could write up a tutorial with pics or may be able to make one for you depending on phone.

mondubics 11-09-2010 11:54 AM

Thanks Gormal,
You went to a lot of trouble. I think I can work it out from the pictures, so now I'm going to look for a remnant!
Marie

Gormal 30-09-2010 02:34 PM

winter woolies

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks again unapam I finally used up that bit of big wool. Also thanks to Laineymc for the buttons, they were a perfect addition for the neck warmer.
The hat is a drops pattern, mitts and scarf are own pattern. They are going to be so cosy for the winter days.

And this is the bench I made from the broken fencing, I even reused all the screws which took a bit of encouragement to straighten out again. yes I know it needs a lick of paint.... I promise to do it before the next millennium when I decide on the colour.........lol

Gormal 01-11-2010 04:37 PM

Notice Board

1 Attachment(s)
this is made from bits of cardboard, polystyrene, printed paper, string and glue.
First I trimmed the polystyrene sheet to size, it is about 1.5cm thick. Then I laid it on cardboard and cut around it with a 2 inch allowance. Made a frame with the cardboard, added string at top, taped the corners to hold in place. I found some patterns on a paper craft site and printed out, cut and stuck together to form a border which I then glued around the sides and edge. I'm pleased with the result and got rid of some rubbish in the process!

paprika 05-11-2010 08:39 PM

Wow!! ... I'm lost for words. These are really great ideas, I love them! Well done, keep up the good work! :)

tudlytops 07-11-2010 11:15 PM

Gormal, there's just no stopping you, is there :P

Gormal 02-12-2010 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
@Tudlytops, lol yes there is just steal all the junk ;)

I've been very lazy lately, well actually I've been knitting, busy with a couple of things but legwarmers get priority....lol no surprise there!!
Anyway I got a pile of half slips from Elbo (thankyou) and have started the conversion. I simply made it into a full slip because I don't like the low cut dresses/tops. I removed the elastic from the front part of the waist and folded over ribbon, added ribbon straps and shaped the sides for a better fit... job done. I'm going to do the same with a couple of the others, when I pick up some lace trim, the rest I will shorten a little to suit knee length skirts.

Gormal 30-03-2011 04:27 PM

Beads

1 Attachment(s)
just received a tub of beads from loadsakids and have made a start on them. It's a new thing for me to try out but so far have made a bookmark and a star that I'm not sure what to do with yet.

TickTock 30-03-2011 09:11 PM

I'm off to check some recipes which use evaporated milk so I can get my hands on one of those tins! It's not something I would normally have. My MIL used to make chocolate+toffee slices but I think she used condensed milk, not evaporated milk, or are they the same thing? Any suggestions?

Gormal 31-03-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TickTock
I'm off to check some recipes which use evaporated milk so I can get my hands on one of those tins! It's not something I would normally have. My MIL used to make chocolate+toffee slices but I think she used condensed milk, not evaporated milk, or are they the same thing? Any suggestions?

Same thing as far as I know, just watch out for what kind of top the tins have. If you go to the carnation.co.uk/recipes section you will find a load of things to make. Now you've got me wanting Millionare's Shortbread! LOL