JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Up-cycled furniture (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=139395)

Pacman 17-01-2015 10:16 AM

Girls dresser

2 Attachment(s)
Just to show what a lick of paint can do: I used chalk paint and waxed after.

irishrose 17-01-2015 10:25 AM

That looks terrific!

AONB 02-02-2015 09:16 PM

can you tell me what the point of waxing an item that has been repainted?
Ive read most things that are repainted are being waxed, but dont know why that is...
Thank you!

Pacman 23-02-2015 02:41 PM

Waxing

Hi AONB,

Sorry about the delay: I don't check this all the time.

Regarding your question about waxing an item, it would depend on the job you have done and the finish you want. You could just use a satinwood paint straight onto wood and that is made to be a durable finish so you don't require any more protection for your piece.

On the item above I did a chalk paint effect on the piece and that would come off fairly quickly with wear and tear if I did not use a few layers of wax. The wax will protect the paint and made the chalking more durable. I am going to post pics now of another piece that I waxed and that waxing was to protect the wood.

Hope that helps ;-)

Pacman 23-02-2015 03:19 PM

Cleaning up untreated wood

3 Attachment(s)
This chair was made by my son-in-law who asked me to finish it off for him. It is a lovely chair and very well made but had been left outside in a shed for years without being treated with anything.

It took many hours of sanding it down as there were a lot of black flecks in the wood. I started sanding the wood with a rough sandpaper going on to a medium grade and then fine before waxing it twice with a clear wax and wire wool. Then I upholstered the chair.

I hope that answers a little more about waxing AONB ;-)

trish53 24-02-2015 12:08 AM

Love it,you are very talented,keep up the good work.

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai 25-02-2015 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pacman
This chair was made by my son-in-law who asked me to finish it off for him. It is a lovely chair and very well made but had been left outside in a shed for years without being treated with anything.

It took many hours of sanding it down as there were a lot of black flecks in the wood. I started sanding the wood with a rough sandpaper going on to a medium grade and then fine before waxing it twice with a clear wax and wire wool. Then I upholstered the chair.

I hope that answers a little more about waxing AONB ;-)

Wow!! Love it. Beautiful job. Well done.

Chris P 25-02-2015 03:01 PM

from Admin

Fantastic work (as usual), Pacman.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Pacman 24-04-2015 03:32 PM

Cheers

Thanks All.

I just love this website: love what it does, the inspiration it gives, and the encouragement of one user to the next. There's a whole world of waste that can be re-used, re-homed and re-designed.

I would encourage anyone to give things a try: if you fail, what odds? - it was for the bin anyway ;-)

Pacman 03-01-2018 01:53 PM

Happy New Year and keep recylcling :-)

2 Attachment(s)
Not a bad time for clearing out, giving away or up-cycling that project you had in mind for a while...

Here's a little something I did a while ago and completely transformed a table and chairs I collected from someone who had had enough of them. I love the look of it now whereas I wouldn't have given them a thought before the paint job.

garden.junkie 11-10-2019 11:11 PM

Help

I recently bought an antique chair and would dearly love to reupholster it but I don't want to destroy it. Do you have any tips?

daisybones 14-10-2019 07:42 AM

Loving all the makeovers - lots of talent and good eye on this board. Great to see good things not ending up in landfill.

TallStanley 07-05-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisybones
Loving all the makeovers - lots of talent and good eye on this board. Great to see good things not ending up in landfill.

Yeah, me too. It's always painful for me when people just throwaway stuff without any attempt to fix it. Or maybe that's just me :D
By the way, does any of you know anything about vinyl furniture repair? I've heard a lot of positive things about this, well, let's call it a hobby, and planning to get a repair kit as mentioned here to test it. What do you think? I'll definitely post photos here or in a new thread later. Cheers!

MilianaCrawford 01-06-2020 07:32 AM

I never would have thought that this could be done with old furniture. You have golden hands master.

Pacman 10-07-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garden.junkie
I recently bought an antique chair and would dearly love to reupholster it but I don't want to destroy it. Do you have any tips?

Hi Garden Junkie,
You could put up a photo of the chair on this website and ask for help. Usually the chair would need to be cleaned and repaired before deciding on the finish. People on here would be glad to offer advice.

Sorry about the delayed response.