JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Repurposed stuff/remnants (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=77715)

lushington 07-06-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gormal
Seemed a shame to burn the box, so I made a tri fold card out of the tissue box.
I tidied up the aperture with a stanley knife and made sure the edges were straight. Stuck a picture in the window, printed out a verse, glued that on and there you have one quirky birthday card. http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/atta...d=13052120 42

I am really impressed with the recycling and absolutely love the caption inside :D

Gormal 16-06-2011 01:58 PM

Uses for socks

3 Attachment(s)
I couldn't wear these as they were too tight so rather than throw them out I decided to use one pair for a no sew draught excluder, simply stuff 1 and a half of the socks then slip over each other.

Next pair were converted to mittens. I really loved the pattern and wanted to make something practical and useful.
So I traced out my hand made a paper pattern with a rounded top, marked the thumb area and cut a thumb piece.
Sock inside out, mark round top, stitch. Cut, then carefully cut the thumb hole.
stitch and cut the thumb bit, then hand stitch 1st to hold in place and sew with the machine.

shonastar 17-06-2011 09:17 AM

Hi Gormal, love the sock ideas! Brilliant, I now have a use for the 6 pairs of knee high day glo purple socks I was given as a present (which I would probably wear but they're too tight!) Well done.

Mandolin 17-06-2011 11:54 AM

How do you come up with these things... they're brilliant!

Gormal 06-07-2011 06:29 PM

Bric a brac wind chime

3 Attachment(s)
Eibhlinn was kind enough to give me some belts for re-purposing a while back, actually seems ages ago. Well since it was raining and I was twitchy, I went to work on making the wind chime.
I used beads from a bag gotten off JT, gut left over from the basket bin, tiny pot which the seed failed to grow, glassy belt beads and hoops from another belt.
I made a bead bracelet to fit the lip of the pot and secured each drop evenly around this, with one long one in the center.
Makes a very calming jingle. Thanks Eibh!

melissabell 06-07-2011 08:39 PM

I haven't looked at this thread in ages and my you have been busy!!!! Fair play you've given me some great ideas. Well done ladies :)

wonderboy 06-07-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gormal
Forgot to add the slippers(thanks for the idea Unapam). Also tried silicone patches on sole for non slip... I don't know how well that will wash/last, but I'm not slipping anymore.

Also made a summer nightie, thanks for the inspiration Unapam same as your pillowcase dress. Made a little corsage to add cuteness. Used some beads (thanks Mandolin) to hide the button holes.

just wondering if there is a pattern for the slippers .. my nan always knit some for us but hasnt been able to for the last few years and my wife said she would now instead but doesnt have the pattern

thanks

wonderboy

Gormal 07-07-2011 12:12 PM

@wonderboy Tell her to join Ravelry.com has a hoard of patterns both knit & crochet and plenty free ones.

http://mindie.wordpress.com/2010/04/...ipper-pattern/

for a knitted slipper

melissabell 07-07-2011 04:31 PM

Hi,

If anyone needs knitting patterns for anything, I collect them so I can scan them in and e-mail them to you :) Everything from accessories, baby clothes, adult clothes etc :)

Mandolin 09-07-2011 01:26 PM

Non-slip slipper soles

I wonder would a piece of inner tube work as a non-slip? Cut in the shape of a heel / sole and glued on...
Think I saw somewhere too that lines of silicone squeezed onto the soles (from those tubes you use for sealing around the bath) makes them grippy.

Gormal 09-07-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandolin
I wonder would a piece of inner tube work as a non-slip? Cut in the shape of a heel / sole and glued on...
Think I saw somewhere too that lines of silicone squeezed onto the soles (from those tubes you use for sealing around the bath) makes them grippy.

Aye the tubes would work, will try that on the misters slippers when I make them, bored of knitting just now, I actually used the silicone for my non slip, rubbed into the wool to grip and it survived the wash too.

Gormal 12-07-2011 01:58 PM

Jar decoupage

2 Attachment(s)
So I had some corrugated card salvaged from a gift box which I cut to size for the toppers... lets call them that to save confusion. I found an image I liked and printed it out 3 times, cut all missing out certain bits with each layer. I arranged the butterfly bits and glued the whole one to the card, then used small bits of tape to attach the next two layers, I repeated this with the fairy.
Next I found some background images I liked and made them into a printable border for the jars. Once printed and cut I used that sticky back plastic to protect them and stick them around each jar. Glued the toppers in place. Now I have two decorative jars that can be used for a number of things...... including the next floral gift I might receive.

TickTock 12-07-2011 03:37 PM

Very pretty! I had the same sort of idea for the jars that sit on my kitchen windowsill but couldn't visualise it and your project has helped enormously. I have an empty balsamic vinegar bottle which I was going to fill with coloured marbles but now I have to search the attic for my sons old toyboxes to find some!!!

Gormal 14-07-2011 03:43 PM

from old Tees and a pillow

3 Attachment(s)
Been wanting to make these for ages but wasn't able to get a hold of felt until this week. I'm still at it but here are the first Plushies of the machine. Frankie the green monster is made from a t-shirt the other two are from felt sheets I picked up at a car booter. I hand stitched the felt eyes etc on.
One looks more like a carrot than monster...lol the cat is also from an old tee.

mondubics 14-07-2011 05:24 PM

I loooove the expressions on their faces! and those teeth! Keep it up.