JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Before & After (Upcycling) (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Repurposed stuff/remnants (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=77715)

Gormal 20-01-2010 08:14 PM

Repurposed stuff/remnants

1 Attachment(s)
After moving I didn't have anywhere to hang my kitchen towels. So I took a thin strip of wood, fixed 3 pegs (not too tight)with little screws evenly spaced and screwed it to the door.
I haven't yet got around to painting the wood, but at least the towels are in a handy place out of the way!

snorry 21-01-2010 11:40 PM

great idea

unapam 24-01-2010 07:28 PM

That's a bright idea! Like it.

irishchick56 25-01-2010 11:46 PM

that is a really really good idea, I love it !

Gormal 29-01-2010 12:02 PM

PC table revamp

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks! I've finally got round to doing the top of my computer table which I got from another kind Jter. I saw this idea online where they had tables with comic books lacquered on top. Was seriously tempted to do Spongebob ;o)
It's the kid in me..lol anyway I decided on superheros instead. I've got enough sticky back plastic to do another one, if I get fed up of it.
So after a few printouts, organization and patience this is the outcome.

Chris P 29-01-2010 03:03 PM

from Admin

Great work, Gormal. Thanks for sharing!

Regards
Chris p
Admin

sparkwell 29-01-2010 08:07 PM

That's brilliant Gormal next time you should do Spongebob! :)

Gormal 09-02-2010 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This basic dust cover for my sewing machine was made from a damaged underbed storage bag gotten from Jt (thanks Mary from Dublin). And a ribbon that was wrapped round a new robe.
I'm sure I'll make another one later or add to this one after each project.

Gormal 17-02-2010 04:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thankyou guenivere for all the lovely fabric have started to get stuck in already.
Used the lace curtaining to cover the porch windows and the outbuilding.
Made a pot stand and tea towel. And apron (bit of a Cath Kidston look), not going to use that design for the next one though!
The other half requested 2 pillowshams so this is what he got pic 3, a little luxury.

unapam 17-02-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gormal
Thankyou guenivere for all the lovely fabric have started to get stuck in already.
Used the lace curtaining to cover the porch windows and the outbuilding.
Made a pot stand and tea towel. And apron (bit of a Cath Kidson look), not going to use that design for the next one though!

lovely items. The apron is to DIE for!

Gormal 17-02-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unapam
lovely items. The apron is to DIE for!

Thanks, the minute I saw the fabric I knew it was going to be my apron ... lol

Next on the agenda is applying the pillowcase theory to cushion covers, and a couple of tablecloths with matching place mats.

Gormal 18-02-2010 07:40 PM

Table cloth and placemats

2 Attachment(s)
Working my way through that material and here is my latest project a table cloth and 4 placemats, I was really good this time and finished my raw edges!!

sparkwell 19-02-2010 11:17 AM

Hi Gormal

These are really lovely items, I'm not sure which is my favourite the pillowsham or the apron. I recently learned how to use my sewing machine that had been in the attic for 3 years. I've started a patchwork quilt but haven't had much time lately but seeing your projects has spurred me on a bit.

Thanks for sharing

Sparkwell

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai 19-02-2010 12:06 PM

sewing machine cover

Quote:

This basic dust cover for my sewing machine was made from a damaged underbed storage bag gotten from Jt (thanks Mary from Dublin). And a ribbon that was wrapped round a new robe.
I'm sure I'll make another one later or add to this one after each project.

Hi Gormal, love this idea. The cover on mine is falling apart. Another project for me to take on!! Eibh.

Gormal 19-02-2010 08:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh Sparkwell you are brave, I don't know if I'd have the patience for a patchwork quilt. I did a basic one years ago for my parents, but have not had the urge to do another, although the thought did pass through my mind.
Anyway I made a list of other things to do, probably to avoid the quilt idea..lol
It's been a good few years since I used my machine... at least 5 years!!
I look forward to seeing that quilt when your done. I plan to make some bedding later too.

Eibh, I had to make it as the plastic one it came with had torn. And I have a feeling that it may end up as a lining for the next cover in the future.

Thanks for the comments and happy crafting.

I tried to take today off....lol.. went for a walk and found a pebble with a hole and thought ohh that would make a nice incense holder. Then I got home and remembered the tuna tin and turned it into a pin cushion (stuffed with wool as had no stuffing and a pebble for weight)... which I really need now I'm sewing.

Gormal 20-02-2010 07:15 PM

Needle roll & peg bag

3 Attachment(s)
Today I made a peg bag. And a roll for my knitting needles and crochet hooks etc... well it's an improvement on a plastic bag and at least everything is in one place. Did take me a while to suss out how to make all the compartments, and I did make a blooper but worked round it. There are also pockets behind the bottom section, and I still need to buy some ribbon to tie it.

Gormal 24-02-2010 08:47 PM

The Hat

2 Attachment(s)
Made this cool hat, looks like my sister-in-law is going to get it. As it turned out a bit on the small side for me... have to make another one this time bigger...lol

Managed the 2nd one in a fraction of the time, helps when you know how to get round the fiddly bits!

maggied 26-02-2010 06:07 PM

stuff

hiya, well done ,love your creativity, maggied

maggied 26-02-2010 06:10 PM

needle storage

hiya gormal ,meant to say i could send you some ribbon for your knitting needle storage if you still need it ? just let me know , regards
maggied

Gormal 27-02-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maggied
hiya gormal ,meant to say i could send you some ribbon for your knitting needle storage if you still need it ? just let me know , regards
maggied

Thanks for the offer but I bought some hot pink ribbon on wednesday

Gormal 02-03-2010 11:38 AM

Pan lid to feeder/bath

2 Attachment(s)
Made a feeder from pan lid which will double as a birdbath in summer. Will have to get some light chain to make it more secure though.
Also made a bottle feeder out of a bottle , stick and coat hanger.

Bunty 02-03-2010 11:59 AM

Genius! Well done.

Gormal 03-03-2010 12:58 PM

50cd Spindle case to plant pot.

2 Attachment(s)
I took the case of a 50 spindle cd set and used as a plant pot. Then covered with fabric. Although you could paint or use cool wallpaper too.

Gormal 03-03-2010 01:05 PM

Accessories

4 Attachment(s)
I have made a few accessories. Passport holder & tags, and a Quilted camera case.

unapam 03-03-2010 05:05 PM

placemats

Quote:

Working my way through that material and here is my latest project a table cloth and 4 placemats, I was really good this time and finished my raw edges!!

Love the place mats and pin cushion. You can't have too many pincushions when crafting! Well done.

Gormal 04-03-2010 06:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Unapam! Well I'm beginning to realise that Pin cushions are too handy, I wonder how I managed without one for so many years. The wrist strap pincushion is looking very appealing all of a sudden... might make one yet!
The placemats were a bit of a challenge for me, mainly the corners! But now that I've made them once it'll be easier next time round. I also just finished coasters to match.

Loved the cushion you made with the padded heart... forgot to tell you that on your post, body in one place mind in another!!

Made a few key fobs, the one below is for my bike lock and fits on the wrist so I won't lose it. Also used an old milk bottle as a watering can, simply make a few holes near the top and whala!

Loveworld 04-03-2010 10:09 PM

sewing machine

2 Attachment(s)
i'm really thrilled by all the revamping and designing done on this thread. well done everyone!!! unapam, gormal, Eibh....etc. this is a motivational thread i'd say. helps one to work well with a tight budget.
pls does any one know where i can get this mini sewin machines in dublin or mullinger? especially the "good ideas mini sewing machine" or any cheap machine, could be second hand as well.
thanks

Gormal 08-03-2010 11:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished socks for the other half and had 24g left so I made a small crocheted Amigurumi toy. hand-stitched the eyes and put a fabric nose on. It's stuffed with shredded fabric scraps. Not wasting any of it...lol

Also our door kept hitting the wall and was leaving a mark on the paint, it was only a matter of time before a hole appeared. So I rolled up a fabric scrap, covered it with another scrap and blanket stitched the seams. Now I've got a bung which prevents the door handle hitting the wall.

murphs 11-03-2010 07:23 PM

hat

Hi
Your hat is fantastic.
Did you need something to stiffen it?
Did you get a pattern.
regards
murphs

Gormal 11-03-2010 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murphs
Hi
Your hat is fantastic.
Did you need something to stiffen it?
Did you get a pattern.
regards
murphs

Thanks. Yes I used iron on interfacing and the pattern was a free online one from simplicity see link

http://www.simplicitynewlook.com/ind...ge=page&id=126

unapam 11-03-2010 10:40 PM

Fabulous ideas

Quote:

I have made a few accessories. Passport holder & tags, and a Quilted camera case.

What fabulous ideas you have. I love them! The luggage tags are so handy as it the wrist key holder. Keep 'em comin'

Gormal 16-03-2010 03:40 PM

Lightshade recovered

1 Attachment(s)
My other half was hopeful I would make a shade from scratch.....hmmm
Well there was a old shade in the loft which was rather grotty to say the least. So I took the cover off and made one to fit, with colours that just so happen match the rug, also adds some colour to the cold porch. Didn't cost anything. Tied the top and bottom with string concealed in the hems. I put the string in before sewing the hems to save that fiddly job of trying to work it through with a safety pin.

maggied 16-03-2010 04:54 PM

ah now your just showing off gormal ! only joking just a case of the green eyed monster ! well done , love what you come up with . have a bunch of 18 zips light beige colour if you would use them ?
regards
maggie

Gormal 16-03-2010 05:01 PM

Zips

Oh yes please!!! I was planning to make some little make-up/toilet bags later and a little backpack for cycling

Thanks a mil your so good!!

Gormal 17-03-2010 08:12 PM

New style bird feeder

1 Attachment(s)
I wasn't too happy with the first one as the seed at the bottom never got eaten. So I made this tester. 1 well cleaned vinegar bottle, some wood, a jam jar lid and 2 plastic straps/ties.
The bottle just lifts out for re-filling, you have to keep the bottle lid so when you put it back into the rack, the seed stay put until you remove the lid, the seeds then fall into the jam lid bit by bit as the birds eat.

Gormal 22-03-2010 04:10 PM

Another use for tins

2 Attachment(s)
Everybody has probably done this at one point. the tin can desk tidy! Well at least it's some place to put all the pens that end up there. I just slipped on a fabric sleeve which was leftover from the chair I'm trying to recover.
Did the same thing with a big tin and used it as a small light shade, which is safe enough as it's an energy bulb and is only on when we go up and down the stairs.

damsel83 23-03-2010 03:47 PM

hi gormal, nice light shade!! love it. pls would really want to know what the tin light shade is hanging on. how did u hook it to the light

Gormal 23-03-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damsel83
hi gormal, nice light shade!! love it. pls would really want to know what the tin light shade is hanging on. how did u hook it to the light

It's hanging on the tin bottom. I used the wire bit of a shade, drew the inner circle on the tin, cut out the circle... well actually tore gently with pliers, as I don't have the tools for making a nice hole. So the hole is just big enough to get the plastic fitting into it, then just hung like a normal shade, screwing the plastic bit back on etc

Gormal 25-03-2010 07:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yep another tin. lol... Lidl's has changed the top of the evaporated milk tins, now you get a ring pull that leaves a little slot.... how handy is that! Makes a great money tin, to get at the pennies you have to get the tin opener out.
This is a great one for the kids as they can decorate it any which way they like. I'm still deciding on mine ;o)
Have now decorated it with a wrap around bracelet and scrap of fabric

Gormal 30-03-2010 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A BIG thank you Maggied for the zips I finally got to do my covers. I did a concealed zipper (well tried to) worked out ok.