JumbleTown Ireland

JumbleTown Ireland (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/index.php)
-   Home Improvements (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Painting wooden chest of drawers - HOW DO I START? (http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=28898)

poppie 20-07-2008 09:12 PM

Painting wooden chest of drawers - HOW DO I START?

Hi,

I hope someone out there can help me with this task. I have a chest of drawers that I want to paint. I don't know what type of wood but it is a solid wood. The lady that I got it from have tried to paint it so it is painted cream only some places not everywhere.

I need to know step by step what to do. Should I sand it down? Do I need a primer if so which one. What type of paint should I buy.

I really want to do this properly as it is a good drawers and can still be used for a long time.

Thanking you in advance for your help
Poppie

Fizzywitch 21-07-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppie
Hi,

I hope someone out there can help me with this task. I have a chest of drawers that I want to paint. I don't know what type of wood but it is a solid wood. The lady that I got it from have tried to paint it so it is painted cream only some places not everywhere.

I need to know step by step what to do. Should I sand it down? Do I need a primer if so which one. What type of paint should I buy.

I really want to do this properly as it is a good drawers and can still be used for a long time.

Thanking you in advance for your help
Poppie

From my experience I would say it needs sanding down but make sure you finish sanding with a fine sandpaper to get a good finish.
If you can take the handles off, do so.

Depending on the look you want to end up with, as in gloss paint, eggshell?
do you want the draws to have a matt finish or glossy?
If you go to the store and choose a paint you like, it will say whether or not it is for wood. It will also say on the tin which undercoat you need if any.
You can buy one coat paint that needs no undercoat but I don't think these give a good a finish.

Hope this helps

Fizzywitch

poppie 21-07-2008 03:42 PM

Thanks

I want to paint the chest dark green and the drawers a lighter green and then the nobs dark again (like the childrens one Ikea has in blue). I will go down to Atlantic on the weekend and see what they have.

If this one works I will be doing two more for my other kids. Just need to find the drawers but will put my mind to this first.

Thanks for your help

Poppie

Bunty 21-07-2008 11:29 PM

Re: Chest

Hi Poppie,

Do you really want to paint this piece, if it is hardwood??
This is just my opinion, I hate to see nice pieces painted. I would restore it instead.
However, if you are painting it.

1. Remove all old paint , either with fine sandpaper (going with the grain of the wood) or paint stripper
2. Rub the complete item down with steel-wool
3. Rub the complete item with turps. to remove all dust etc.
4. Apply a good quality undercoat paint with a soft brush (not a nylon one- as it will leave streaks)
5. Allow to dry well
6. Apply finishing coat of paint with soft brush
7. Allow to dry completely, replace knobs/handles

And 'Hey! Presto!!' A completely new chest.

I believe that if paint is diluted with white spirits or turps. 2 light coats are better than 1 heavy coat & always paint in the same direction as the grain of the wood.

I'm sure that you will have others with more suggestions.

And MOST important, WASH & DRY you brush, before re-using.

Thats it,
Bunty!!!!! Good-Luck with project.

poppie 22-07-2008 07:33 AM

Hi Bunty,

Thanks for that. I am sure I will get it right now. I wanted to paint it but if the wood is nice enough when sanded down I might just give it a varnish.

Will just take it a step at a time and see. There is a stamp on the back 1954 so quite a few years old. Will see how I get on.

Thanks for your advice

Poppie

Stuarty 26-07-2008 07:33 PM

Just back from hols when I saw this post so this might be a bit late. If you are going to atlantic, dont be afraid to ask them for advice, usually the managers know lots or know which member of staff is the expert. i used to work there and got lots of training from the paint companies, (obviously so you can sell their products but you know what works). It could be handy is you bring a single drawer with you in the car, then if they ask you a question about the wood and you dont know the answer you can always bring the drawer in, trust me it is far from unusual for people to bring items in, at least you can be certain you are getting accurate advice

poppie 27-07-2008 07:15 AM

Thanks Suarty,

Have not started yet. Bought the sander and the sanding paper and steel wool. I first need to find the time to sand it down and clean it properly and will then go to get the paint. Thanks for the advise about taking the drawer.

Hope to do it during next week.

Ta
Poppie

greentrees 19-08-2008 02:18 PM

Greentreens

hi poppie how did it go with the chest you were painting I;m starting a similar task would you believe and found the advice given to you very helpful. going to follow the steps given to you by bunty. any pictures to show us your results ta theresa

poppie 19-08-2008 03:52 PM

HI

Believe it or not I have still not started this. I have 3 little ones that will not stay away if I have to put the stripper on. My husband is on hols from Saturday and he said he will help me then. Have in mean while changed my mind about the painting. Might just strip old paint off and then sand it a little and then varnish it. I will now be using this drawers in my entrance hall so don't particulary want paint on it.

Hope you get your project finished quicker than I did mine.

Cheers
Poppie

VOL 19-08-2008 04:22 PM

Hi Poppy,
I stripped paint off an old table for my hallway, it was painted a horrible brown and looked like a completely different piece when I stripped it. Instead of varnishing I rubbed in a few coats of beeswax (leave to dry between) Not as smelly as varnish, good for the wood and it gives a beautiful finish.
Good luck with the drawers. Vanessa

greentrees 19-08-2008 05:14 PM

greentrees

glad you will b getting a bit of help at the weekend its not easy with little ones. all my little ones are grown up and providing me with grandchildren now. its brilliant, i'm not complaining. the advice vanessa gave is very good i seen someone on telly doing that and i;m going to try it myself just one thing will i get beeswax in supervalu? never mind i will find it .

VOL 19-08-2008 10:49 PM

beeswax

You might get it in supervalu, not sure. I got mine in a hardware shop. It's good value, it goes a long way.
Enjoy!

mickey-1-2-3 20-08-2008 08:28 PM

Instead of bees wax try Black Bison wax usually available in good hardware/woodworker shops. After stripping the old paint off wipe with white spirts on a cloth. This will nutrilize the paint stripper and give you an idea of what it will look like. Black Bison wax comes in various colours. apply the first coat with very very fine wire wool. this will get it deep into the grain. Apply 2 more coats with a soft cloth and polish between coats. Do not apply varnish as this will eventually kill the wood

KilkennyCat 21-06-2009 08:01 PM

painting chest of drawers

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all I'm about to embark on similar journey and I want to paint this chest of drawers - they are originally from Supervalu I hate the colour and want to paint it white and get new knobs for my son's room. Also if anyone has another set of drawers like this I would love it too.