View Single Post
Old Posted: 06-10-2008 , 11:21 PM #25
Jumbles

Default Just when you thought I had said enuf lol!

I dunno... charging for the alternative could be a good thing, but usually creates it's own problems.
Before that happens there needs to be education. I think this is the biggest problem.

Lets face it, most people see recycling as a pain in the a$$. Other people genuinely don't know how or why they should recycle. So it needs to be seen to be a part of daily life rather than a chore and a booklet on recycling and tips on what and how to recycle should be circulated.
Simple tips like: compost your tea bags and garden waste, when you go for your groceries, bring along your empty bottles to the supermarket recycling banks, buy loose fruit and veg rather than pre-packaged... etc etc...

When the green bins first came out, my father was one of the first to get one. It was very badly done. The council gave out the green "recycle bins" in the estate. Most people just thought, woohoo, an extra bin! And threw all their mixed waste in the green bin too.
Even when the council refused to lift green bins with non recyclables in them people still did it. Then the council issued warnings, people would be fined if they were found to have non recyclables in their green bins. That stopped it. People made it their business to find out what is allowed in the green bins. He now has a brown bin for compostable waste too.

People need to know what is and isn't allowed and need to know it IS their business to recycle. That's why I think fining for mixed waste works better.
Charging more for non recyclabes normally leads to illegal dumping and burning. It's damned hard to avoid non recyclables, I try. I bought very very little that didn't come in glass or tetrapack until my bin took plastics and I now buy some plastic bottles too.

Some areas in the UK fine for putting non recylables in recycle bins. And in some states in America it is illegal to not recycle, so you could be fined if glass bottles were found in your trash for example...

But before all that, education is the key. Kids in school should be the main target.
Jumbles is offline   Reply With Quote