Thread: Just an idea!!!
View Single Post
Old Posted: 05-07-2007 , 07:15 PM #14
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acket
just wanted to add a note to this thread following what I thought was a bright and apparently well received initiative from one jumbletowner with a popular item and say that such initiatives are very welcome in my book.
The item was a large screen Sony crt TV, the initiative - accept all replies for a few days then draw a winner from a hat.
Thus everyone is a winner - giver gets plenty of interest in item, taker counts their luck whatever time they replied, missers enjoy the participation and have no one to blame but the hat, and Chris and Dave get that 2 cents raise they hoped for due to all the extra clicks generated by the interest that would have otherwise finished after a few replies.
I am not suggesting that everyone follow suit but it certainly provides a morally viable alternative to the first to reply takes, particularly perhaps for "hot" items.

Hi acket,

There is no doubt that Bgreen's "Sony TV" thread was well-received and generated interest but Admin will not be encouraging this type of thread for a number of reasons:

(1) we believe it will lead to fake items being posted and Members being strung along for days on end;

(2) we don't want the site filling up with threads/ads as long as a string of sausages with Member after Member saying "Put my name in the Hat."

Bgreen is to be commended for the way he handled the thread in question but not all Members are as prompt in their updates (for a number of reasons).

So a Giver is of course free to pass on an item to whomsoever they choose, be it the first, second or tenth respondent, but they should do so without delaying the Giving and Taking process.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote