Thread: Kitchen Ideas
View Single Post
Old Posted: 06-07-2011 , 02:42 PM #15
melissabell

Hi,

I have to be honest and say that I absolutely love your units. Mine were a horrible melamine that was peeling. I love 1970's things but I couldn't go as mad as I wanted as my other half would've killed me :)

I did my kitchen on a very small budget. I had to use melamine primer but yours would need a different primer, then undercoat and a gloss etc. Use rollers that are for gloss as being an amateur i didn't know the difference and the finish wasn't as good as I wanted.

I couldn't afford new handles so I took the separate surrounds off and spray painted the handles to match. I would advise giving the cupboards and the handles a coat of clear gloss as they can wear. ( I wish I had)

For tiles keep an eye on adverts.ie, here and in tile shops for end of line stock. I got tiles for a bathroom splash back in my bathroom for €2 in woodies, they always have a clearance section.
I'm still looking out for new floor tiles

I got new work tops but you mightn't need to we had to as I wanted to extend the units and our worktop was discontinued so we couldn't get more. I wanted a display unit and was watching out here for one but my mother in law was getting rid of hers so I painted it to match. My brother in law then extended the units using MDF and put the whole thing together for me at a discounted price.

I'll add pics, I know they won't be to your tast but It might help :)
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote