View Single Post
Old Posted: 03-12-2008 , 10:32 PM #36
greenone

All the best ideas have been covered already, but I too work in a wedding venue (I work lots of places, but this is one of my favourites)
There are great deals for weddings on Monday/Tuesday, up to 15% off the main course and free champagne reception, etc.
IMO, favours are a complete waste of time. I have seen people splash out on expensive belleek, sterling silver, or just sweeties and the guests left them behind, dropped them and were generally unimpressed. Its quite disgusting how little regard people have for the generous intention of their hosts.
I made my own wedding invitations and delivered some by hand too. I printed a little picture on the envelopes to match the cards too. I didn't bother with place names and in hindsight, shouldn't have bothered with a table plan either. Plenty of people wander off to sit with friends or arrived late and slipped into the first available seat. And it wasn't just my guests, I regularly answer the phone at work on wedding days to the question 'What time are you serving the meal?'. Wedding guests don't seem to want to bother with all that hanging around???
My aunt did my flowers and she was fantastically green! She used cans (peaches I think) as the base and folded serviettes and florist sheeting around them. She had to eat a lot of peaches. She then used copper pipes that her plumber had left behind. She cut them as she needed them and used limes in the decoration. She got the flowers from Smithfield.
Good luck with the big day!
Attached Images

greenone is offline   Reply With Quote