Thread: Simple sewing
View Single Post
Old Posted: 31-07-2013 , 05:56 PM #15
mondubics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athy55
......... I am currently trying to put zips in cushion covers, I'm not great at this so I hope they won't look to bad......
Athy55
There is another way to make cushion covers, that doesn't require zips. Take this slowly, and pin one together first, to make sure you get the folds right.

1. cut a piece of fabric that is the width of your cushion cover + 2 seam allowances, AND two and a quarter (ish) times the length of the cushion cover + 2 seam allowances.
If you assume a 14" cover and seam allowances of 1", that's a piece of fabric 16" x 38" ( (14+1+1) x (14 +14 +4 +1 +1).
2. Hem the 2 short sides only, but DO fold the seam allowance twice, so the hem will be 0.5" when finished. If you like, you can make one much larger - just adjust the length. The other one won't be visible on the finished product.

3. This is the 'get it right in your head' bit.
With right sides together, fold the item so that 4" is folded over to the INSIDE. Measure. The cushion cover should be about 14" long.

4. Hem each side seam, making sure that the folded under 'flap' gets caught into the seam fully, and when you do the 2nd one, while you should measure it, its more important that the flap looks straight.

5. Trim the 4 corners diagonally (without cutting the stitching!!!) so that they will lie flat when turned.

6 Turn to the right side, and use something pointy but blunt to push out the fabric to ensure the corners turn fully.

7. If it looks a bit floppy (remembering that some of that will be taken up by the cushion), you could put a button-hole and button on the flap. (My sewing machine has a 4-step button-hole sewing option, which is much easier than it looks, and does a great job.)

8. Iron it to make it look smart on the stand.

9. Start the next one!!!

This saves money on zips, so if you already have fabric, you are laughing!!!

Stripes work better than repeat 'medallion' patterns, but make sure to line up the stripes on the flap and main fabric. All-over patterns also work well.
mondubics is offline   Reply With Quote