View Single Post
Old Posted: 16-02-2009 , 07:13 PM #41
Ecoprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublindy
Hi Ecoprincess - do you know the variety of apple that you're cropping off cuttings? Does it crop and grow well and, I guess most importantly, is it a nice apple?

Sorry the simple answer is no. I tried seedsavers who could not identify the apple, and suggested a place in UK it was £25 to send it and get details. The trees been her about 90 years from the rings that I counted. While I have cut it down - it was very diseased, it has started to grow again.

The apples are smallish, starting yellow and going red on the side facing the sun. Its a nice apple, a bit sharp to eat but its a late ripener so I leave some for ripening. I cook with it - very nice, make cider nice and the goats love them. The blossom is turned into the most clear almost like water honey :)

I am hoping the one I cut down will start to fruit again soon and the cuttings maybe in the next 5 years. I mainly grow it for the blossom for the honey. Hope to have about 70 of them in the field behind the house, with some elderberry, cider apples and one or two other old apple finds.

So sorry no I dont know what it is called :( though I called my cottage after the tree as when I came to see the cottage in November, I knew it was an apple tree and in the tree was a small wrens nest made of feathers, baler twine and moss, all along the branches grew ferns; so I called my place Ferntree Cottage :). Friends call the cutting Ferntree Apples :)
Ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote