Thread: Farmers Market?
View Single Post
Old Posted: 07-02-2009 , 09:32 PM #15
corker

Default Farmers' Market

Hi all, I would be a regular visitor to Farmers' markets. Yes they can be expensive, but I think some things are worth it - tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers - the taste is incredible, as a family we would eat a load of these in the summer. Also I buy potatoes in large bags there. Definitely good value. I began buying there because I was tired of watery potatoes and cucumbers that tasted of soap! from the supermarkets.

I would agree with Tom Doorley though Farmers Markets need more farmers, there is only so much pesto that the world needs or can use. Also it is questionable where some of the stuff comes from, once I asked one of the stalls did she grow the lettuce and was told that they bought it in the supermarket, rinsed the leaves and bagged them and resold them!!! They could mark the prices and origin of the stuff clearly, because it is tiresome having to ask always how much the stuff is and it should be local produce, that is the point isnt' it?

I buy far less than I did in the early days at these markets - they can be hard on the pocket and the waistline. I bring all my bags - paper and plastic- for the producers.
Remember to look up Country Markets, these are different. You can also bring your glass jars to these markets for recycling.
Enjoy the market, you are lucky if you have one nearby
Corker
corker is offline   Reply With Quote