View Single Post
Old Posted: 27-08-2009 , 07:56 AM #11
ninafive

there really ought to be a central forum or website where car boot sales/ sale of works can advertise....maybe we should start one here on jumbletown...
it would benefit both those going out for the day with their boots full to sell on their bits and pieces and people like me who just LOVE going rummaging!

Ill show you my list if you show me yours!!

I often go on a Satuday morning to North Cumberland St Market.
This is the real deal. Its been operating off Parnell St for probably a hundred years. Its also known as The Hill Market. You need a license to trade here- so you cant drive up and sell from your boot as such, but ive found some really great things here for next to nothing, and you can haggle your ass off. Its a bit of an eyesore to some- as on first approach it looks like somebody just emptied a skip onto the street, but to me - i get the shivers of excitement every time i turn the corner! Best to get there early, they start at 7am -but by 11am the sellers are starting to pack up, and if its raining you wont see much action at all. This is proper heads down, asses up rooting territory!

If im free on a Sunday, i might head out towards Balbriggan.Theres a turn off to the right as you come through the village of Balrothery, just 2 miles south of Balbriggan. About a mile and a half up this road, theres a great big market/ car boot sale.Theres a 2 euro entrance fee per car for browsers (im not sure what the car boot sellers pay per car) Dissapointingly, on first approach it appears like its all market traders selling dvds and tools (how boring!) and people touting duty free cigarettes, (actually its quite funny to see how quickly the dvd stalls can pack up when they get a whiff of the gardai, they can do it in 15 seconds flat!!) ... but if you pass these guys and head down the back, theres a large area of car booters, and ive picked up the odd nice find here. It will certainly keep you busy hunting about for an hour or two.

The Black Horse Market on Jamestown Rd. in Inchicore is a waste of time in my opinion- all traders of new knick-knacks and bits of multi coloured plastic stuff that you really dont need. Theres a couple of people with stalls that are selling antique curios, (i saw 2 taxidermied birds going for e50 the pair)
but what galls me is that they are advertising this place as a car boot sale- and when i was there last Sunday- there wasnt a car boot to be seen. In fact the warehouse place at the rear where the car booters sell from wasnt even open! They have a website up, and have ads on the radio, but i really dont know why car boot sellers are'nt flocking here-especially as its a covered area. Maybe the rate is too expensive- or maybe there just is'nt a community of car-booters in that neck of the woods...

Oh- nearly forgot, Herman Wilkinson auction rooms in Rathmines, (they have viewings on Wednesday afternoons and the auction is on a Thursday morning can be a real treasure trove if you have the time to get down there...lots of landlords looking to fill bedsits with furniture, but also antique dealers looking for a bargain. Ive gotten 1930's angle-poise lamps here for less than a fiver, and have a veritable forest of them at this point.....love it!

Okay guys! Tell me your secret junk yards/ second hand shops / curios places and car boot markets! Id really like to hear about once off Sale-of-Works (as they used to be known?) and Church Whist-drives!!
ninafive is offline   Reply With Quote