View Single Post
Old Posted: 08-04-2009 , 10:09 PM #129
Moeby

Default Costcutting

Hi just noticed this was first posted in July 2007, before all this talk of recession so well done for bumping it now, when people are really needing to cut back and save money. I know this recession is very tough on a lot of people, but really it's a matter of getting back to reality and saving where you can. I filled my car (it's a 7 seater so all seats fold down to make it like a van) with all recycling things and took it to the recycling centre where it cost me only 2 euro to dispose of unwanted items. I then filled it again with things I could not recycle (2 old torn matresses and 2 old carpets) and took them to the dump which cost me 20 euro. There is a huge difference, so it definately pays to recycle where you can. Another thing I have done to cut down on energy costs, is to revert to old fashioned ways, like not using the dishwasher, not using the tumbledryer only when necessary. Turning off the immersion and using the solid fuel cooker for heating water (don't have central heating). Turning off lights that are not in use and also making sure the computer and broadband is turned off at the mains when not in use. Plugging out chargers etc. This actually saves me 15-17 euro a week ( I know because I pay by cards weekly and where it was costing about 35 euro a week it went down to 20 euro). (My ESB bills would be fairly high because I work from home as a hairdresser so I would be using dryers etc.), but if you put in a small amount of effort it creates huge savings. Kind regards.