View Single Post
Old Posted: 28-01-2011 , 01:49 PM #12
TickTock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merienne
I was confirmed (communion equivalent) in my protestant home country when I was 15, and there we wore white gowns, much like the graduation gowns u see in films. I wore jeans and a t-shirt under mine...

You and I have the same background. I was confirmed at 14 years of age in the sixties. My mum made my white dress and I also had a short veil which she stitched to a hairband which she covered in the same material as the dress. It wasn't the princess type of dress you see today, more an everyday style but in white. My brother got his first suit, shirt and tie and looked very smart. My own children were confirmed at 15 years of age and they just wore their school uniforms. We could never understand the 'tradition' of spending so much money. indeed we believed it was sinful. I believe some priests are trying to change things but it will be down to the parents in the end. I have noticed some dresses are becoming less puffy than the ones I saw a few years ago. This is a good idea for the forum.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote