Thread: Just an idea!!!
View Single Post
Old Posted: 30-01-2008 , 01:50 AM #23
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by acket
This has been noted on more than one occasion yet in the guidelines the only reference is that the giver should update on the status of the item.
Is there any onus on a taker to indicate on thread their interest?
If more and more takers continue to send pm only and not make a note on the thread about their interest in an item, eventually the thread process becomes of little use to anyone.
The majority of regular users do follow the process openly and fairly but as jackbauer said "some people try to "short circuit" the inthread takers with a pm"
Is it within the remit of the site to remind people to use the thread for initial contact as this would seem fair to all.
Without feedback on the thread, it would seem to become a buyandsell scenario with people replying just to be told an item is gone, then eventually wont even bother.
Perhaps I am overstating as for the most part I dont think it is currently a major issue, but when it does happen it sours the process a little for others.
Any thoughts or comments.
Hi acket,

As you say, at the moment Takers are not expected to reveal on the thread/ad/public forum the fact that they have sent a PM. This situation allows Members to conduct their business in absolute privacy but does create a degree of doubt for other JumbleTowners as to who is in the running (so to speak) for an item.

As you also say, most potential Takers do post on the thread also, and it is clear that this adds to the openness of the Giving and Taking process. The issue boils down to "privacy versus openness" (and the degrees of each which should be afforded Members). Some Takers may not wish to indicate on the public forum that they have requested a particular item (or even a large number of items) because it may reveal something about their circumstances. At the moment, the site is set up to afford them this privacy.

I'll put your thoughts to the managers of JumbleTown.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote