View Single Post
Old Posted: 16-12-2008 , 11:44 AM #66
MandyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara
Oh my god, you really were put through it, thankfully things are starting to look up for us, with help from family friends and fellow jumbletowners we will get the basics done soon, and everything else we can work on gradually. I hope things are starting to come together for you now and that you like your home. One question though can you pm me about MABS I don't know what they do? Did you know that if your not happy with your grants you can appeal? Kiara x

Well as I said, when I moved in, the house was a total empty shell and I kinda bought things on a whim thinking 'oh they'll do' when in reality, when I stood back and had a good look around, I didn't like it at all. So I worked on replacing things gradually. I had blue, white and grey lino in the kitchen which worked well with the royal blue carpet and blue, white and grey walls in the sitting room - open plan - but I quickly grew sick of looking at such bachelor colors, so I painted cream with red trims like red silk curtains and some canvas pictures. I recently built a wall to seperate the open plan kitchen and sitting room as I hated it with a passion! So now my kitchen is black and cream - black floor tiles with a center mosaic in black and white, which only cost me just over a hundred smackers cos I know a guy who works for right price tiles. A black glass and leather kitchen table and chairs for fifty quid in kavanagh's in newbridge - a veritable goldmine of a place - and some new kitchen presses from my partner's sister as she bought a new kitchen and wanted rid of her old one which was perfect!
As I said before, my family have been a great help to me, and recently bought me a new washing machine, cooker and fridge, on the condition that I pay back 25 quid a week. I painted the window wall black and the rest cream, so that's the kitchen done! All I need to do is hang the beautiful pine door that a JTer so kindly gave me.
The sitting room floor has been changed to some antique pine laminate and the three peice suite I had - which was totally buggered due to children hopping on them - I replaced with the help of the travelling community who gave me a suite on the premise that I pay them in monthly installments from my children's allowance.
The carpet in the hall - a biscuit color was soooo not the right choice - has been changed to cream tiles with cream and brown center peice - approx 80 quid from my friend at right price tiles!
I still have plenty left to do - my kids rooms were built totally wrong, with my son basically having two chimney breasts in his room, because they thought it would be nice to put an alcove in the other room for a wardrobe, which would be fine if his room was bigger than a postage stamp! (Council houses!!!!) So I'm knocking down my daughter's alcove and building my son a nice new STRAIGHT wall in his room lol and then I can paint and redecorate their rooms.
It's hard going, but every couple of months, when I see one more room taking shape, it heartens me for the scrimping and saving for the next one!

I think it helps a lot that my partner is a painter and one of my best friends is a carpenter! lol

So to your question about whether I love my home... I do now.

Will PM you regarding MABS.

Hope my tale of slogging it out with my own home gives you a bit of relief in that you're not the only one out there trying to get things done and achieving it slowly... xx