View Single Post
Old Posted: 18-12-2013 , 12:35 PM #3
tiggyT

Default I agree, mostly!

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I am on board with everything you're saying; I understand that JT can't legislate for incidents like this. As a giver I agree that rules stipulating compensation would be offputting, not least because they'd leave givers open to being scammed.

That's why I phrased this as a question for Jumbletown users as a matter of opinion or etiquette, rather than asking for administrative support. It's not about what the user can be compelled to do but rather what perspective the community has on the situation. I find it difficult to let go of this incident because it seems so unfair that the other party has burdened me with the consequences of their mistake and I think input from the community could help me to accept it and let it go, even if it doesn't change the outcome of the situation.

This is not a subjective difference of opinion about quality; it was the sole clearly stipulated condition of taking the item off their hands. There was no reason not to accept the measurement they gave so it didn't occur to me to tell the van driver to remeasure it - though even if I had taken that extra precaution, he would still have had to be paid for his time so I'd still be out of pocket due to their error. I know in an ideal world I'd have been there myself but that just wasn't possible and the other party to the transaction knew that.

I suppose it comes down to different standards of personal integrity; it's not the money that makes it hard to let go of but the disappointment. One text that sounded genuinely apologetic, followed by stonewalling and refusal to engage just feels very callous. I try to treat people as I would wish to be treated and would never dream of making another person pay the price of my mistake. It shakes my faith in humanity a little bit when other people aren't as decent. I'd like to think most jumbletown users are that decent; I'm still happy to support the site by giving things away but I think this experience has made me too wary to ever risk taking anything.

Thanks again.
tiggyT is offline   Reply With Quote