Thread: compost
View Single Post
Old Posted: 21-10-2011 , 08:01 AM #10
Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark
Hi beermick
I am also useing a plastic compost bin.i bought it in a recycle centre 2 years ago.It is near impossible to turn the compost because the neck of the bin is so narrow.Ialso tried a composting agent I opened the bin today there was no bugs,worms.ants or flies only slurry grass.Iput old newspapers in today and more agent to see will it help.I think I will go your way and build a duel compost box
thanks all
ark

Hi there. I just seen you post. theres a chance the agent you are using has a bug repelent in it thats why you have not bugs. Your right in saying that its a total pain to turn compost in the plastic bins but they wernt designed for that,they were designed for people whom live in say housing estates with small back gardens and plant pots. The idea is you should need to you alot of compost at one time so use the compost from the bottom via the flat at the bottom and the compost is supposed to fall down bit by bit thus airing it as you empty the bin. Some serious gardeners have told me that they make a separate base for a plastic drum or similar to fit the bin, and alternate, remove the bin to the new base and then fill the bin again. Fine if you have nothing better to doing...
As for the grass slurry, are you just putting grass cuttings in the bin? You need to mix the grass with other organic matter potato peelings, rotten fruit & veg etc. The grass on its own will take years to compost.
Hope this info helps you?
If you`d like to know more feel free to contact me.
Scott
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote