View Single Post
Old Posted: 28-11-2009 , 12:12 PM #1
Mickey

Default Making a flue pipe - what would I need?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get hold of some reasonably costing flue pipe to install a solid fuel burning stove in our sitting room.

The cheapest quote I have been given so far is €110/m for the straight bits. The bendy bits are apparently much more expensive. We just DO NOT have the budget for this so we really need to find the cheapest, safest way of doing this. What on earth did people do before they were able to just phone a man to come and do the job for them?!?!

Our chimney is very old (200+ years) and goes straight up and down through 3 floors of double height rooms. There is a short diagonal angle though (just found it now) between the open fireplace and the chimney part. Also, since we are renting we cannot do any physical re-modelling of any kind in order to make this work. It needs to be easily dismantle-able should we move one day.

I figure we wouldn't need to pipe all the way up the chimney, just maybe a short way up to where there seems to be a lip that we could possibly rest a flat sheet of metal with a hole. Would I be able to make one of these myself (via my hubby of course)?

Also, would I (he) be able to make the pipe himself out of galvanised sheeting or something? and then we just buy the clampy bits to fit it all together? And of course try and find the bendy bits here on JT?

Please give me the benefit of your collective creativity and experience. I would be ever so grateful.
Attached Images

Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links