View Single Post
Old Posted: 30-11-2009 , 10:43 PM #11
portsbruff

Default If you can DIY save alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
Cool :o) Thank you portsbruff!

Do you have to use flexi flue as well as the rigid kind? Does the flexie flu attach to the back of the stove?

We would be unable to get onto the roof of the house at all though, we'd have to use a really tall cherry picker and it is very steep and the slate is very old now. We'd have to go via the fireplace to do an installation of any kind. This is going in on the ground floor and there are 2 double volume rooms above that.

Suggestions?

If the Flue is coming from the back of stove you will need a 90 Deg Cast Iron Bend 80 euro max join the flexi flue with fire clay to Bend and to Stove(Flexi Flue is about 150 to 180 euro for 5 inch 6 inch might be to big for a older house) You need to know how much you will need i did this with bailing twine with a heavy stone on the end put the stone down chimney (Soot in room) messure from floor of the fire to foot above chimney pot my house was about 8 meters. Now once you have done what i said earyer you will have to get a Cowl for the Chimney pot(Make sure that the maker of this cowl knows the shape and inner Diameter of your pot and make sure that the cowl inner diameter is 5inch to hold the flexi flue (dont use self tappers screws for the cowl and flexi) use Pop Rivets and fire cement once you have got this done get a role of fibre glass this wont burn put this down the chimney around the flue cement ontop of fibre glass if you can or
just enough to block all the holes around the flue once done!!! buy a bracket or make one i made one out of a old roses tin and hid this in the fire place. (the cowl was made for about 80euro) Good luck!!! Remember Be Safe and make safe
PS my roof has nail sickness so get a roof ladder or a builder lol
portsbruff is offline   Reply With Quote