View Single Post
Old Posted: 19-07-2012 , 12:14 PM #8
mario40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock
I have a chair which is looking grim. The varnish had worn off over the years and there is a huge wine stain on it. The wine seems to have gone deeply into the wood. I am in the process of sanding it with a little electric mini sander. I haven't done this before and am wondering (a) do I have to sand every little bit of varnish off and (b) is there a solution I can put on the wine stain to remove as the sanding just ain't getting under it at all. The wine will show through any clear varnish I put on so should I forget varnishing and just paint it? This photo was taken as I am half way through the sanding. Just thought I'd call for help before I continue. Thanks for sticking with me so far. :-)
You will probably find that the wine has penetrated too deeply to sand out. However that does n't mean give up. I take it the chair is part of a set and that the finish is a clear varnish, but have you considered a medium to dark stain which would cover the wine while also retaining the wood effect of your chair
Regards
Anthony
mario40 is offline   Reply With Quote