View Single Post
Old Posted: 12-08-2009 , 07:24 PM #22
TickTock

Default Reducing waste and doing away with the bin collection

I was just talking to a friend yesterday who has a composter to take cooked food and she invited me to come and see it so that's something I should be doing.

When my children were tots I only used terry cloth nappies so disposing of them was not an issue for me. I only used disposable if someone was babysitting for me. But I just didn't have the cash to buy disposables.

My parents had an open fire and most of their rubbish was burned - I have a gas fire, and to this day I still miss the open fire.

Bins are collected here every week but you pay €8 per collection which compared to some of you here is very cheap but I still try to save on that and sometimes get away with putting the bin out once a month. Have to say if the weather is very warm, I have had problems on two occasions recently - euuuggghhh!! Nuff said. As I said, the composter which takes cooked food might be just the thing for me! I also wash the bin out regularly with hot water and disinfectant to keep it smelling as sweet as possible.

Paper and plastics go in the green bin, and I take the glass to the bring centre. I'll be checking out all your suggestions here as it looks like there are a lot of alternatives out there.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote