View Single Post
Old Posted: 15-01-2010 , 04:03 PM #29
Ebblue

I definitely think it takes little effort to sort your recycling and cut your waste. It does take a bit of thought though to get it organised. We have various bins in our utility room to help with the sorting of the recycling. We have a compost bin too and two dogs that eat any leftovers, though these are rare! Soups & stews are great for using any veg that are near their end.

We also have special recycle bins in bathrooms. These are 'pretty' bins so guests don't get confused. This helps a lot. Our regular bin in the bathroom is practially zilch now as most waste would have been shampoo/conditioner/shower gel containers/toilet roll holders and so on.

I also save glass jars, I use these for freezing sauces, or for emptying food, say nuts out of plastic and into a jar. I write the bb date on that and it lasts far longer than in the bag.

Outside we have old wheelie bins, you can often find these on websites for free or very little money, they are nice and tall and look neat and store loads.

We had a problem with rats and our composter so pulled out the composter and put slate underneath. This has worked.

We then take all the recycling to the recycle centre and we also take the non-recyling waste where they weigh it and charge us for that. So it works out that we go about once every two months and costs about 11 euro in total, our recycle centre is 3 euro and the rest is weighted rubbish which is excellent.

Hope this helps.
Ebblue is offline   Reply With Quote