View Single Post
Old Posted: 06-01-2009 , 04:58 PM #32
cascais

just a little reply to the previous post from gillo

yes i admit to being mean and quite proud of it actually.

as you seem to have taken offense by what i said in my posts, i will not make any further comments after this ( and also not to takeover the post) .

the various takeways i order from cleary state in the front page what their delivery charge is, nowhere is it written that i am expected to tip the delivery man.

you have no idea what i do for a living or what my husband does, or what we earn. i find it quite offensive to assume i am on a good salary.
to clear things right out , i can tell you i am on 2 jobs at the moment, one of them involving door to door activities.
still i do not expect to get tips, i will take them if they are given, but i do not expect them and always come prepared with my change ready and always say to the people that offer them that they do not have to tip me.

you also have no idea whether the woman that ordered the takeaway for 60 euro was alone or was with 5 or 6 other friends and each scrapped the bottom of their bags to make the total because it is the only takeaway they ever had as they cannot afford them. she may have said she needed the change for her coffee in the morning but may have thought it was polite to share the change with her guests...

this is all a matter on how you percieve things i guess.
some may say that it s a culture thing, and may be right i suppose.
my behaviour actually tends to compensate my husbands how tends to overtip ...( so the delivery guy can get lucky or unlucky depending on who shows at the door)

i do not intend on visiting the USA anytime soon so i think i should be safe enough on that front.
(although i agree that i have read that it was good practice to tip quite a bit over there)
if io was to go over and be received with mixed reactions because of this , i would just reply that there are plenty more restaurants, and if one does not want my business, well maybe the next one will. (i always make sure i am happy when i am the customer paying the bill)

i hope i am not overshadowing the great thread started by jennifer and those dcomments will not offend anyone else, (apologies in advance if they do)

this will be my last contribution to this post
kind regards

cascais