View Single Post
Old Posted: 06-10-2008 , 07:29 AM #10
Anfearisfearr

Default veggie oil

just a note re vegetable oil as fuel.There are numerous sites on internet re this topic.Depending on which one you read it can be a success or a failure.I wouldnt recommend this to any one with a diesel car less than fifteen year old.The older models without common rail or electronic injection are most suitable.I drive a 1990 renault 1600cc five.I put ten euro worth of diesel in tank and then fill rest up with vegetable oil from lidl at roughly 60 to 70 cents a litre.The only problems i have had are during very cold weather.Hard starting when cold.Always started,but may have taken two attempts.I cure this by adding more diesel.So my experience is to mix a ratio of 5 to 1 roughly.In colder weather maybe three to one.In very good weather{if we ever get some}I sometimes run it on neat vegetable oil.I have done almost 30000 miles so far with no problems.One other thing ,keep an eye on oil levels.The life of any engine is regular oil and filter changes,no matter what fuel you use.you can of course go down the route of obtaining used oil,filtering,mixing to a recipe,adding preheaters to your diesel supply,twin tanks etc.This all depends on your time,money, interest.Its all individual.Then again you could just source a filling station that provides biodiesel at 89 cents a litre as in our area.
Anfearisfearr is offline   Reply With Quote