View Single Post
Old Posted: 18-02-2010 , 08:23 PM #10
rickaddams

Default Boiler

Sorry for not getting back here sooner was waiting to hear from the Gem/Gerkross dealer.......thet say they went into liquidation Oct 2008 and had a few of my boilers lying around but they were sold off last year so unfor can't be got anymore. Thanx for letting me know about these new boilers..(Gem also say condensing boilers is all they do nowadays and are far more energy efficient ) read a few comments from diff people about these new boilers and most had nothing good to say about them. So kinda stuck in a jam at the moment deciding what to do....read this article about them as well..........

****Reliability**********

Condensing boilers have a reputation for being less reliable, requiring professional installation and regular service, and may suffer because installers and plumbers may not understand their operation.

Heat exchangers in condensing boilers are made of stainless steel, a combination of cast iron with a secondary heat exchanger made of stainless steel, or aluminum. Regular monitoring of the circulated liquid in condensing boilers with aluminum heat exchangers is vital. Maintenance of a slightly alkaline (pH 8 to 9) liquid with anti-corrosion and buffering agents reduces corrosion of the aluminum heat exchanger. There is a feeling among professionals in this field that the condensed liquid produced at the exhaust, which has a pH between 3 and 4, may corrode the aluminum heat exchanger and shorten the boiler's life. Empirical evidence proving this feeling has not been available to date, since condensing boilers with aluminum heat exchangers have not been in use long enough.

Condensing boiler technology is evolving rapidly. A fully condensing boiler with a cast iron heat exchanger has been introduced in the United States. It deals with the corrosive nature of the condensate produced in it by increasing the wall thickness of the heat exchanger sufficient to deliver an expected residential life of four to six decades and by discouraging the conditions that accelerate corrosion.*********

Im looking at the available grants for heating systems could you maybe reccomend one for me it would obviously have to be energy efficient and meet a certain criteria to avail of the grant would it have to be a condensing boiler?..have you any idea of the cost of installing such a system and the labour costs of updating the heating controlers you talked about ?

Appreciate your advice and help and for sticking with me on this as its a minefield out there when your a greenhorn to all this.

Many thanx again

Regards

Rick
rickaddams is offline   Reply With Quote