View Single Post
Old Posted: 01-10-2008 , 01:53 PM #7
erica

Default Waiver

If people don't bother recycling simply because they have a waiver, then they should be charged for their non-recycled waste and the recycle bin should be free.

In the Midlands, non-recycle refuse is charged by weight. There is a standard charge for the bin and in addition, you pay by weight after that. The only way to get people to recycle is to charge them for the alternative! In Longford, you can buy a compost bin for around €20 from the County Council office. The council holds composting demonstrations periodically, though I've never managed to attend one! A compost bin definitely is worth buying though, because it gets rid of most of the non-recyclable refuse. I also have a wormery, which gives fantastic compost and liquid for plants.

Unfortunately, in this country there is no "joined up thinking" when it comes to recycling. There is not enough information/education given and so people just don't bother! I think the Green Schools project is fantastic and our kids will be more in tune with the whole concept that we are, but in the meantime there is far too much stuff needlessly going into landfill.
erica is offline   Reply With Quote