View Single Post
Old Posted: 27-01-2009 , 09:15 AM #2
lislaw

Hi
Last year I grew courgettes which were a great success. The plants produced for months. They grow fairly big and they do need to be tied up otherwise you get little stubby ones. I had one of those zip up greenhouses as well and used it for the seedlings and when the plants got bigger I took the greenhouse part off and used the frame to tie them up - it worked a treat. We had so many that by the end of the season we no longer had courgettes but marrows!!.. I grew them in tyres and it worked out really because the plant can get very big and take over. By putting them in the tyres it restricted their growth a little and it also meant that the slugs (urghhhh my sworn enemy) had a harder time getting to them. And the slugs loved my courgettes so if you do decide to grow them Beware!!

I also tried tomatoes for the second time and for the second time it was a total disaster so I'm giving them a miss this year.

Spuds were brill -very tasty. Growing them again. Same with lettuce, rocket, scallions. Peas and beans worked well too.

We had brocolli too last year. My big tip is not to leave them too long as they go to flower very quickly.

And the carrots were really tasty. I didn't plant some of them deep enough and again the slugs had a field day when they found them. They're meant to grow really well in raised beds - something about carrot fly and height from the ground.

We also had strawberries and I got two raspberry plants. We got a few off them but I'm hoping for more this year as the plants get bigger.

I love this time of year, planning and getting everything ready. I've got my onions and leeks started - they're new for me this year and I'm looking forward to seeing how they get on.

Good luck - and if you need any tyres let me know. I've a thread up in the garden section for them.

Don't forget to Rotate..

Lisa
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote