View Single Post
Old Posted: 27-01-2009 , 03:12 PM #5
cascais

Default veggies

hi lovestuff,

at the moment the veggie patcgh is very bare, we only have some cabbage at the moment, as i find its one of teh only veg to resist the frost in my experience..

chicories are also supposed to be good in the winter , dug deep, although never tried it... yummee ! ( a type of salad for those that never tried it)

last year we managed to get peas, green beans (or french runner beans depending on what you call them), salad, we also managed to get peppers ( but these stayed green and never went yellow or red . they were the miniature species. we kept them at home a long time as they do not like the cold (maybe a couple or 3 of months). beware, the slugs love these !
i also have various herbs, parsley, thyme and a bush ( can t remember the name they are leaves you put in stews and stuff..)
need to try carrots, onions, next year and hopefully: spuds ... have to try !

lisa,
we also tried tomatoes, we had loads of tomatoes, but i did not manage to make them rippen.
i find it easier with the cherry tomato variety. with tomatoes, we also kept them a long time at home ( well over 2 months) in our porch and they loved it. the conservatory would also be a good spot for them. we had to plant them as they did not have enough space/ soil to grow, and we had to put wooden supports ( we found free wood in a skip down the road for it) to make sure they did not collapse with the wieght.
problem is , couldn t get one to ripen ! heard of the getting them ripe in a brown bag, but surely they mustn t taste very nice as no sun around... am i the only one to think this ?

enhjoying the veggie threads anyway !
keep it up...

cascais
cascais is offline   Reply With Quote