View Single Post
Old Posted: 03-10-2008 , 09:21 AM #15
lemencass

Default Waste

I am from N.A. and there were a few things that surprised me when I moved here. When I go shopping the cashier wraps items such as fairy in a seperate plastic bag,when I asked why,I am told in case it leaks. I have said how the hell did it make it from the factory to here without leaking,surely it will make it to my home without major damage? We had Big garbage day,me and my friends would take the day off work to troll the streets finding treasures. Found a brand new rotissere oven,old jam press lots of goodies. Scrap shops would be out in full force too lining with shelfs with items that would otherwise go to a dump.I nearly got the ears ripped off me by my mother when I was small,I came home with a siver set,she of course thought I stole it(why would a 7year old steal silver?) When she saw that it had been thrown away she started a side line,revamping couches,she made some tidy profit and got herself a new hobby. Beside alot of rural dumps there are shops,that sell servicable items and then dump the non servicable. There seems to be alot of shame involved for some people in having less than perfect,or non matching. With the economy the way it is maybe some of the old ways will make a comeback like wax paper at the butcher,it is a little cheaper if you go to the counter at home as biodergradable paper is used instead of plastics,meat keeps better too! Win win for everybody. Alot of second hand or charity shops won't take things such as tennis rackets as they can be used as weapens,I couldn't believe it! Mind some people do take advantage at auctions and bring total crap to avoid paying the skip charges which is a real downer for people that are trying to do a good thing. Many box's state not to include rags,is there not a charity that uses these to make mops if bag is labelled as rags? If you look into most of the skips 70% of it is usefull,books,china,a roll of wallpaper,old carpet,old duvets,places like kennels are only to happy to take things to line out a kennel. We spend so much time and thought when buying something new and if a tenth of that energy was put towards how we get rid we may see a reduction in our fills.(I include the goverment in this thought) Now in saying that if there is no set up,ie repair shops then it is a waste of time maybe if people have a skill to re-purpose they could post it?Provide insipration, maybe a section could be set aside,instead of wanted, it could be" needed", for places such as kennels ,I didn't know untill I asked what they would use and I got rid of alot of stuff. I love this board and Chris you guys really deserved that award! Mum used to say your stand may seem lonely as you stand alone in your fight but others who share your thoughts make the army. She was abit ahead of the time in regard to enviromental issue's but JT is an example of this,she'd have loved this board too!!
lemencass is offline   Reply With Quote