View Single Post
Old Posted: 08-07-2012 , 05:49 PM #11
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock
...How about this though, at present we can see how many posts we have made, I have 524, and zag has 59, if there was some magic way of counting our gives, takes, and wants, and sharing this information it might go some way towards showing our 'personalities' shall we say, how cool would that be?
Hi TickTock,

The feedback from the techies is that your suggestion is a non-runner. More pointedly, showing each Member's number of "Gives" and "Takes" would give the impression that JumbleTown is a charity site, which it most definitely is not. As I've stated in my post at the link above:

"Since the inception of the site, our policy has been that all JumbleTowners are regarded as equal. Neither Admin nor Members have any way of determining the “neediness” or otherwise of a Taker."

Also:

"The site’s raison d’etre is primarily to help people free up space by passing on unwanted items. The primary concern of Givers should be the desire to free up space in their home/workplace in an environmental way that helps the community.

Givers who wish for their item not to be sold-on should state this on their ad, but of course, they have no way of knowing the fate of their item once Taken.

If Givers want to be certain that their item goes to a charitable cause or what they may consider to be a 'charity-case', then they should contact their local charities rather than post on JumbleTown."

Details...here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=44356

Thanks again for the feedback, and thanks also for your contribution to life on JumbleTown over the years.

Regards
Chris P
Admin