View Single Post
Old Posted: 08-07-2012 , 08:35 PM #13
Murrayhead

Default Re-'hoovers'

I could be classed as such in regards some of the wonderful items I have picked up here on this site in the last month.

I am currently, (after 5yrs of waiting to get funds together) able to plaster and decorate my upstairs for my three kids and me.
I have picked up on jumbletown wonderful pieces I JUST WOULD NEVER have been able to afford except for this site but to do this I have invested in time, diesel and stress, not to mention let downs to collect these things.
It has been worth it and I will be forever grateful to jumbletown for this.
I have meet some wonderful wonderful people as a result and if I am ever in a position to return these blessings I will gladly do so.
I am a lone parent, getting help off friends and parent to finally have a bit of comfort and beauty in my home. I have tied sofa's and chairs, cabinets and mirrors to my car in wind and rain. Worried over cushions and weather, traffic lanes and twine. Paid sitters and begged friends for van and trailers. If any of the furniture I am no longer needing was in anyway usable or fit to pass on I usually do it locally and have done. My 'history' per se of 'giving' on this site would be very very poor and I feel sad people are trying to discern in this manner.

Should people decide to sell some items at bootsales etc then I again feel it is a process of recycling that goes beyond traditional benefactor/beneficent methods and could be argued balanced out by the fact that some people do not want to pay fees to have items gotten rid of.

Being rude and making decisions on people because of some perceived idea of a person's character whom they have never met is narrow and contrary to the idea behind the set up of this site I would imagine.

There has been a mad rush in my home these last few months to collect bits and bobs to make our space special. I've said before the items collected here have contributed immensely to my kids quality of life and mine. I did feel a 'glip' in my stomach when I read some members comments here and realised I might be seen as a 'taker' and not a 'giver' so in my defence I add this note and hope it goes some way in explaining how this member uses the site and why. I would hate to offend anyone but at my worst I will say what I feel must be said. There is a history and story in every piece I have gathered into my home buttressed by the goodwill and kindness of the person who gave it. If you do not give it kindly then perhaps don't give it at all.

Kind regards all, Murrayhead aka Helen